Reverse Shunning

by gutted 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• gutted
    gutted

I have a confession. I am using reverse shunning.

I have ignored the elders calls. I do not want to hang out with witnesses anymore (besides my family and one friend). I have also ignored calls from regular witnesses who want to go for "lunch" or "call me, it's important" when they have never called me before.

Anyone else?

• nelly136
    nelly136

yup. works for me and has done for years now.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Yup, I also participate in reverse shunning

last month I was in my shop window taking some inventory and my JW nice came walking by with her kids in stroller- I just waved and walked away to do something else- perhaps some would have went outside and chatted with her to be nice to family and prove that the whole jdub shunning mentality doesnt matter...but the truth is....

I had absolutely nothing to say to her, it would have been an uncomfortable, forced conversation- and truthfully if she wanted to talk to me she could have walked in the store

so....I say forget the lot of em

CHG

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Yup, been getting a lot of calls lately too gutted. I just dont answer or call back. Thank goodness that I travel a lot for work, I can usually fly under the radar for weeks at a time without raising attention.

• sabastious
    sabastious

You know, I do kind of reverse shun. Currently looking at anyone who follows the Blood Doctrine makes my stomach churn.

-Sab

• gutted
    gutted

I think the main reason I do it is I do not want to hear all the robotic "encouraging comments" to come back. I would love to say "take your guilt trip elsewhere"... hmm

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I have reverse shunned too, for the most part. The only ones I talk to are my in-laws, and even then only when I must.

When I first left the KH, they really came after me. It was very bad. I would consider it harassment, now. At the time, I had nothing to really say when they decided to whip out their Bible's and tell me how awful I was. I didn't know what I believed back then, I just needed some time away from all of them to sort out my feelings about being a JW.

Now, I avoid most of them if I can. Their world view is so incompatible with mine that I can't talk with them about anything except the weather. If I happen to walk past them in public, if they stop me, I won't pick a fight--but I make sure to let them know that I'm not intimidated.

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I have reverse shunned all my family and Ex-JW friends. It was probably wrong of me as I was never baptised, so was never shunned by my family. I just have very little interest in anything they say or do.

Arte

• onemore
    onemore

I’m doing the same.

I can’t stand the same’ol JW conversations… “oh its getting really bad, the great tribulation should be starting soon”, “the C.O talks were so encouraging”…(the you ask what was encouraging about the talk and they don’t know what to say)… “sis/bro is a pioneer now”…etc.

I still like some of the people…but I rather keep them away from me.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It's basically ending a 'Toxic Relationship'. If someone is trying to abuse you -- emotionally or spiritually -- you must take actions to protect yourself.

Some of this rings a bell. . .

http://www.wikihow.com/End-a-Controlling-or-Manipulative-Relationship

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit