Would I get sued for publishing a fictional book about Bethel-Brooklyn?

by Joliette 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joliette
    Joliette

I wanted to realise a book based on Bethel but a fictional account of bethel. Would I get sued for this?

• mamalove
    mamalove

Not if it was coded as fiction. What kind of storyline are you thinking of?

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Oh man think of all the stories you could put into the book from everyone here chiming in.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm currently trying to market a novel about a fictitious apocalyptic religion. I'm noodling around with one more directly about JW's. So I've done some research on this. If you look at the front of almost all fiction books you'll find a statement that says something like "this is a work of fiction, all events and characters are the product of the author's imagination. Any resemblence to any real person is purely coincidental." It is very difficult to sue some one over a work of ficiton, the obvious defense being that you made it up. You may have to add a bit to the above statements such as "the head of bethel in this book is not based on a real person."

Make sure that the names of your characters don't look anything like the names of real people.

Good luck, I can tell you from experience that getting published is an uphill climb. But I love writing.

• little witch
    little witch

Of course not. Artistic license.

For that matter, a documentary could be made. "Don't fear the Reaper" There are copyright laws, but everything is open to critisism, at least in most nations.

LW

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

I remember watching a play/film (can't remember which now) on TV years ago about some parents refusing blood for their child. Their place of worship was called a Hall, they had elders plus other stuff that could only lead you to conclude that they were witnesses.

At the end of the play/film in the credits it gave the usual spin about it being fictional and not based on any real life events.

So yeah if you can add that to your book you should be able to get away with it.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Well, far as I know, they didn't sue Ray Franz...

And although many in Bethel would like to CLAIM that his book was 'fiction', it was a 'brass-tacks' factual description of what goes on behind closed doors...

As long as you change names to protect the guilty [Gov.Bod members...], I think you'll be just fine...

Looking forward to reading it; have thought about using their extreme dysfunctionality as a basis for a series of plots, myself...

Zid

• JeffT
    JeffT

PS, I think the WTBS lawyers would be (or perhaps should be) terrified of starting a lawsuit. Discovery would be a nightmare. You would have the right to put all of the governing body on the stand, under oath to answer questions.

What did the watchtower say about 1914?

1925?

1975?

College education?

Blood transfusions?

High school sports?

Is it true that they inspect the sheets at Bethel to see if anybody is masturbating?

Your lawyer could keep that going for about three days per GB member.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The WATCHTOWER has been publishing nothing but FICTION for more than 120 years. As long as you don't plagarize their copyrighted content (much of the early stuff is now public domain) they can't complain.

Good luck to you!

• Joliette
    Joliette

Thank you guys for your response!

I want to realease the stories online, and if it does good, then I want to release it as a book. I dont want to reveal the story line, but I promise that it will be good BUT I have to do more research on it. Thanks again...you guys are really funny. But basically, 'diaries' that follow a certain common story line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit