What saves us from death?

by Quentin 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

Terry and I were able to get togather today for a pleasent visit. We disscussed a number of things. One thing we talked about was "near misses" we experienced over the years. You know, the kind that could have killed us.

There were several stories told back and forth. These two are good examples. Terry related how, one morning, he pulled up to a heavily fogged intersection. The only thing being clear enough to see was the red light. When the light turned green he pressed the gas peddle, but his foot slipped off and the car did not go forward. At the same time an 18 wheeler ran the red light at a high rate of speed, Terry said if his foot had not "slipped", which never happened to him, there was no doubt in his mind he would have been killed.

Back in the late 70s to mid 80s I worked in the TV & Stereo Rental bussiness. One afternoon I contacted a customer who hadn't payed his rent for about two months and told him I had to pick up the TV. "Yeah sure, come get the SOB." Drove over to his apt. walked up the stairs was meet at the door by him. "Hi_____I'm here to get the TV.".... "Not today fat boy" He then pulled a pistol from his back pocket put it to my head and pulled the trigger, mis-fire. While he fumbled around with the gun, trying to figger why it didn't fire, I made a mad dash down the stairs, hoofed it up the sidewalk. Running as hard as I could made about three blocks. Hid out in the weeds on a vacant lot, laid low about an hour. No doubt in my mind this lunatic was going to kill me. Scared spitless managed to slip back to my truck get the hell out of there. Never got the TV back and no, I didn't call the police. As far as I know no one saw the incident, so it would have been pointless.

Now, here's the question. What, or who spared us, and why?

• elderelite
    elderelite

very interested book on this very topic called "deep survival" Good read

• smsalvit
    smsalvit

nobody saves us, or even has the power to. it's called the chaos theory. in lamens terms: shit happens. the fact that Terry's foot slipped off the gas peddle was just by chance. if that happened and there was no 18 wheeler, then Terry would not have even told you that story, he probably would not have even remembered the incident b/c it would be insignificant. humans just don't like to think that things don't happen for a reason. they want there to be something more, someone in control. there is absolutely no evidence for such a belief.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Trust what you know.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Timing saved you. It also killed a lot of other people. End of Story.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I believe in the shit theory, too. My daughter and I call these times, "Final Destinations." Oops, almost had a final destination (the movie kind).

• Gregor
    Gregor

Quentin, you are a lousy appliance respossesor.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Titties and beer saved me.

I was going down the street at 35 miles an hour on my Harely. A fellow in a gold Lexus turned in front of me,

I said I'm going to die, instantaneously I realized my opitions were to hit a telephone pole, which would kill me

or put the bike down and slide into the car at 35 mph which would also kill me.

The night before I read in EAsy rider that so many bikers die t-boning cars and it wasnt necessary,

the magazine said at the point of impact jump up.

I jupmed up and over and landed 25 feet down the street on my feet, in front of the Church of Scientology.

THe SCientologist came out and thought I was their leader, someone who reached clear, they took me all through

their headquarters, they said how did you learn to fly like that? I told them Easy Rider magazine.

Finally they accepted that I didnt know anything about Scientology, but for about a year after I was a

celebrity in downtown Clearwater amongst the sicentologist in the coffee shops and stores I would frequent.

I think what saved me was titties and beer. I was going to an AA meeting because I had drank to much beer in my

life and easy rider magazine which my wife said I looked at for the titties told me to jump up instead of broadsiding the

car or hitting a telphone pole.

So it was titties and beer and a touch of timing, but I wouldnt want to try it again with out having God in my pocket.

It seemed like a miricle to me, time slowed way down to slow motion. It was like in the movies. I flew up in the air and down

the street in slow motion with no sound. I landed with a woosh, and then the sound came back on.

When I latter went to the police academy, they told me when you are about to die dramatically, or get into

a very harry situation, time stands still, stops or slows way

down and you get tunnel vision and thats what happened.

I was flying down the street like Neo in the matrix. A year latter Scientologist would stop my wife while we were on the town

and tell my wife, "you know your husband can fly."

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Jaguar, I don't know whether to believe it ......or not

But that's the best damn story i have heard in a long time.

Gracias

• Quentin
    Quentin

Quentin, you are a lousy appliance respossesor. (Gregor)

Was that day for sure....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit