Jackie Evancho (wunderkind singer)

by Leolaia 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I haven't seen any threads on the board about Jackie Evancho, unlike the many I saw when Susan Boyle was on Britain's Got Talent, so I thought I'd share this for our friends across the Pond who may not have been following America's Got Talent. And like Susan Boyle she was the clear favorite going into the finals, but unexplicably wound up as #2.

I edited all four of her performances into this video. Yeah, she's ten years old. And I honestly have had her voice in my head for a whole week. Very haunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOIxO0dV02I

For those who were following AGT, do you think she should have won? Michael Grimm is a very good soulful singer, I thought his duet with Jewel was damn fantastic. But he doesn't really stand out imo compared to all the great acts we had this year, and especially in comparison to Jackie. But I think too it is a good thing that Jackie didn't win. The dumb thing about AGT is that they lump the million dollar prize with a gig in Las Vegas, and that is the last thing Jackie needs. Sarah Brightman is right in saying to Jackie that she should save her voice, and I would add, her childhood as well. But in terms of sheer talent, I would have thought she had the million in hand. But perhaps more Americans go for more familiar, conventional music. But God her voice is haunting.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Leolaia.

Her luxuriant voice is that of an older woman.

Just lost my entire post.

Well, thanks again!

CC

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah she has an amazing vocal range. Each of her performances are still a little rough around the edges, but jeez, she's just ten and this is how she sounds.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

And this is back when she was 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2Bn-6Ez7s

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

grimm was good enough to win, but jackie and gravity were standouts.

jackie's voice was angelic and inspiring.............. who could really sing next to sarah brightman and really could not tell one from the other?

she should have won #1.

anyway, in these shows --> just like american idol, it doesn't matter who wins

• Scully
    Scully

When you have people voting for their favorites, it's almost guaranteed that the person with the best talent doesn't win.

I thought that there were many people who deserved to be in the top 10 above Michael Grimm, but I think his back story - as well as his 'I want to give back to my grandparents' promise - captured a lot of sympathy votes.

What bugs me about the million dollar prize is that it is paid out as an annuity over a number of years. By the time the IRS takes its cut, the performer will probably get no more than $20K per year. Granted, that's a great boost if you are struggling to make ends meet - as Michael and his grandparents who raised him and endured devastation by Hurricane Katrina have done for years.

Jackie will definitely go far with her talent, as will Fighting Gravity and Prince Poppycock with theirs.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the shows making 100's millions and the guy gets $20k a year!!!! what a crock

• Ding
    Ding

A number of people probably thought Jackie was the best but didn't want to make her the winner at her age lest it ruin her.

She has an amazing talent.

I hope she also has a good life as well and isn't overwhelmed by her celebrity status.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah the annuity is over 40 years. What will a buck be worth in 40 years? And that's before we even think about what Uncle Sam takes from the prize.

who could really sing next to sarah brightman and really could not tell one from the other?

I know! Weird! But I can't wait to see how she'll sound when she's 20 and her voice has matured much more.

grimm was good enough to win, but jackie and gravity were standouts.

I also thought Arc Attack went out too early; they deserved to go further.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I second that! lei

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit