Do you like Van Halen? Anybody?

by compound complex 41 Replies latest social entertainment

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I was a big fan starting with "Runnin with the " on the first album and Diver Down was probably my favorite album overall. I didn't like the synthesized 1984 album so much.

I was a big fan of Sammy Hagar's sound and Van Halen so I thought they made a great band together (I didn't really follow their music after OU812 album, I know I liked the first two with Sammy 5150 and OU812).

Van Halen

• elderelite
    elderelite

SYNTHESIZED?????? Wannbe, that is the album with unchained and panama! what is synthesized about those??? it really was just the opening to 'Jump', and that was Eddie showing he was not just a guitarist (like that is a bad thing)

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Okay, perhaps synthesized was an inaccurate generalization. Good music, but in my opinion it was a deviation from what I liked about Van Halen.

• dinah
    dinah

Love Van Halen!

Mr. Dinah and I saw them with Sammy Hagar while we were dating. That was about 16 years ago!! Never got to see them with David Lee Roth. But I was a Sammy Hagar fan before he ever joined Van Halen.

Brother Kane opened up for them, they were great too. They have since broken up.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Liked them better with David Lee Roth, but they did some good stuff with Sammy Hagar, as well. I thought 5150 was a pretty good album.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Ah, the best was Women and Children First. Such a good time classic rock album. "Have you seen Junior's grades?"

David Lee Roth was the consumate rock frontman.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

@Dinah: Looks like you'll get a chance to see DLR fronting VH in the near future. (sorry for the font wierdness)

"I never liked those heavily produced screamer bands."

Uh...I guess you're talking about something after the first album...that first is as stripped down an album you'll find in the 70's (except perhaps for the Buckingham/Nicks release). After that...gotta admit I didn't follow them, I was too busy just listening to that first brilliant release, raw, energetic, front-and-center...the hits came through, and Eddie's work flows nicely, and they can be catchy.

As an Orbison fan, yes, I picked up Diver Down - brilliant cover, though flawed for truncating the bridge, shame on them...oh, well...!

• flipper
    flipper

I have enjoyed Van Halen over the years as well. Really great group who put out great music. I like Led Zeppelin better, however I really enjoyed Hagar on vocals and Eddie's guitar playing and the songs they wrote in the late 80's early 90's - Right Here, Right Now, Why Can't this Be Love, When It's Love, Ain't Talkin Bout Love - are among some of my favorites from them

• knock knock
    knock knock

I had tickets to go see them on the first tour .. opening for the Stones. Didn't make it to Neuw Orleans for the show (have always regretted that). At the time their stage show was rumored to be phenomenal and that guitar - well, there weren't a million EVH copycats back then. No one played so fluidly as that that I had ever heard. So that first album was the best for me, especially Ice Cream Man for some reason. Musta been that high energy shuffle beat. A few other great songs through the years but not the same to me.

Now Roth, Vai, Sheehan & Bissonette were a great combo - Eat 'em and Smile (album) was one of me favs back then.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Crystal Pepsi ruined "Right Now". Everytime I hear that song I think of that horrid stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit