Did You Sit for the National Anthem?

by compound complex 29 Replies latest jw friends

• cult classic
    cult classic

My immediate family always stood for both the anthem and the pledge. But some of my uber righteous relatives sit through it all.

• crazycate
    crazycate

Oh the pain this brings back! At school assemblies they always played the national anthem and I always sat through it. Burning up with the embarrassment of everyone looking at me.

A few years ago, before leaving the org but after I started thinking for myself, I decided it was absolutely ridiculous to say that if you are standing anyway, stay standing, but if you are sitting don't stand. I realized all standing is doing is showing respect. So I stood when it would be played at games, etc.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I always stood, but didn't sing.

Yes, I know the words.

Syl

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Having not been raised as a JW and being a product of the late 60's hippie movement and very anti vietnam I have certain feelings about nationalistic and patriot stuff.

Throughout history people have been highly motivated to participate in atrocities waving flags and singing patriotic songs as it was so aptly put by woody Allen "when I hear Wagner I get the urge to march on Poland" .

To me sit stand whatever I don't feel attached to the land of my birth I don't get dewy eyed over the national anthem I realize the man who wrote it was highly motivated by events in his time in history. That was something for him but govenments will do what they may but I won't be singing about it.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I sat down when they played the National Anthem at a car race at the fairgrounds. The people in back of me wanted to pick a fight. From then on I would go to the bathroom before the playing of the National Anthem.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

If it was a sporting event, I usually knew when the national anthem would be coming. That's the time I would go to the restroom, or the concession stand.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

As a true JW, if I was sitting when it started, I'd lay (lie) down. Never would we want anyone to think we're conforming to their acts of patriotic fervor!

J/k!

To me sit stand whatever I don't feel attached to the land of my birth I don't get dewy eyed over the national anthem I realize the man who wrote it was highly motivated by events in his time in history. That was something for him but govenments will do what they may but I won't be singing about it.

"I like the way you talk." (Slingblade)

Especially now, I have a distaste for doing anything out of tradition or custom alone. Reason motivates me. (I hope.)

• cantleave
    cantleave

I always stood for Jimi Hendrix' version of The Star Spangled Banner - and I'm English

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I went to the convention last month and I sat during prayers and songs even when they asked the audience to stand up. it felt so good. I think I even said the national anthem softly

• undercover
    undercover
    If it was a sporting event, I usually knew when the national anthem would be coming. That's the time I would go to the restroom, or the concession stand.

Ditto for me. I scheduled the taking of my seat at any event that would have the NA till after it was over. At best I'd show up at my seat as they were singing so I could remain standing.

As a kid in school, I stood for the National Anthem because everyone was required to sing it, so I could stand and keep quiet. For the Pledge of Allegiance though I kept my seat...or at least tried. There was this one time...

I remember in 1st grade, my normal teacher was informed by my parents of our stand against standing (heh heh) and she allowed me to stay seated during the Pledge. Then one day a substitute teacher was filling in. An old battleaxe of a woman. She started class with the Pledge and when I remained seated, she came over and ordered me to stand. I said that I couldn't and she smacked me with a ruler. When that had no effect she jerked me up and tried to make me stand. I let my legs go limp at the knees as she kept my arm jerked up my wrist. I didn't stand but she didn't let go and held me up, pulling my shoulder out of the socket while everyone else tried to say it. Needless to say it took them a while to get through it as the distraction of my torture threw them off. It was quite traumatic for a little guy. I remember it like it was yesterday. I can see her livid face and her storming across the room as I type this...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit