taken from wt october 15 paragraph 17 page 11

by booby 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hadit
    Hadit

Sab - you can "discreetly" hold hands. Ain't it a lovely JW world. That picture in the WT is so eerie - they are all standing there like robots - not touching, arms crossed or hands folded. You can feel the love.

I wonder what the GB does in their secret meeting room as they decide what married couples can and cannot do . . .

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you all have peace and may I respond? Thank you!

David's entire household crumbled after that... to his great chagrin, dishonor, and embarassment. The kingdom went to a son who became apostate... who came to conclude that EVERYTHING, even his own existence... was of no consequence or purpose, even vanity and so worthless. For all of his "wisdom," he eventually lost his mind... and perhaps his soul. It then went to HIS son whose actions literally divided the entire nation... even down to this day. Then, given what occurred with the rest of David's sons... ALL of them... is it possible that the child by Bathsheba was actually spared... from a much more terrible end than dying as an infant? The child lived long enough to even consider that it was going to miss out on life. The pain, then, was his parents', not his. And certainly, having a child die is punishment of its own kind. Probably the worst.

Dear ones, if you want to find fault with the Most Holy One of Israel, you will find it. Even if you have to make it up in order to consider that you are more righteous and would have made different decisions. Since OUR sight... and THINKING... is limited, however, (really, they are - whether you believe that or not), since we can only see so far as to what WILL occur as a result of our action... I would venture to say that, if given all of the wisdom in the world, you would have made the same decision as to David as did the Most Holy One of Israel... JAH... of Armies.

Again, I bid you all peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

My apologies. I meant to type: "The child had NOT lived long enough to even consider that it was going to miss out on life."

Peace to you all.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

LOL LOL

Oh god....AGONUS......that was so damn funny....made my day.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

I personally don't think that this story is a crock. It just smacks too much of reality. Else why would someone write about Isreal's most beloved king being involved in an adulterous liason with the wife of one of his soldiers and an elaborate murder-by-proxy scheme to cover it up?

I believe (and this is just a hypothesis, I have no evidence to back it up) that what we are reading in the Bible is a little bit of ancient damage control. The situation with David and Bathsheba may have become known to the community so an ancient writer "came clean" and wrote about the affair, incorporating David's subsequent family troubles (also probably real events) into some sort of "curse from God" in order to possibly placate a community disturbed by David's not being punished according to the law.

CyrusThePersian

• Mary
    Mary
    If David were judged on that basis, knowing that it was meticulously planned and not spur of the moment, surely his repentance if declared would be null and void.

That's always been my take too. It seems that David was about as sorry for what he did as Fergie was for selling Prince Andrew out to the highest bidder. Suddenly all the tears and sorrow of Christendom seem to flow.

I could never figure out why Jehovah was so quick to forgive King David for murdering Bathsheba's hubby, yet He instantly killed Uzzah simply for touching the Ark of the Covenant.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Cult classic: Given the law and all that David did in his life, Jehovah must have reeeaaallly loved him.

Isn't there some scripture that says God is no respecter of persons, that he does not pick favorites, that the sun shines on the good as well as the evil ones? So how does anyone justify that god has favorites that can get away with murder? Any scriptures to back up that god's favorites are "above the law"?

agonus: "Jehovah forgives David and Bathsheba but won't let us hold fucking hands during prayer..."

If you behave like a child by obeying them and whining about it, then you obviously need their parental guidance until you can learn to stand up to for yourself and reason for yourself. Why don't you ask permission and see how old you have to be before "they let you".

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

"I could never figure out why Jehovah was so quick to forgive King David for murdering Bathsheba's hubby, yet He instantly killed Uzzah simply for touching the Ark of the Covenant." -Mary

Ironically, even David himself was a bit perturbed at God's ferocity! -2 Samuel 6:8-10. He may have wondered, as do we, what happened to that "slow to anger" God that Moses talked about!

CyrusThePersian

• St George of England
    St George of England

David was too high up the 'pecking order' for anything significant to happen to him. It is the the same today and always has been. God had nothing to do with it.

George

• StAnn
    StAnn

What's all the talk about not holding hands during prayer???????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit