Strange YPA article: Should I quit school?

by serenitynow! 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Honestly, I urge you guys to read the article (if you can stomach it). I mean ultimately they seem to say stay in school, but to me the fact that they would make an argument for dropping out and the whole talk to your parents about your educational goals, and what do the superior authorities have to say about how long you have to stay in? WTH? Seriously I wasn't completely sure what side of the argument the WT was on, 'cause they made it seem like dropping out could be ok.

• carla
    carla

Serenity, is spot on. The wt always speaks out of both sides of their collective mouth.

"I wonder what kind of "volunteer work" might be considered honorable enough to drop out of school." - I know my jw considers his fs as volunteer work even when you discuss what actual volunteer work is such as taking care of widows and orphans, feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, etc..... they can manage to shake their head yes while agreeing one is commanded to do these things and turn right around and claim what they do is volunteer work. It boggles the mind.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

This was REALLY in a latest magazine?! In JW terms, if this system were to continue, getting an education is crucial. Without it one would be in dire straits. Next thing we know they'll be telling JW women to not get an education at all, to just marry and care for hubby

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The article is not entirely onesided, as it encourages staying at school. For instance:

Similarly, if you quit school, you may not reach your educational goals, and you will probably cause yourself both immediate and long-term problems, such as the following:

The following is a convenient example - a hint of training for Bethel maybe

“I now know that if I work hard, I can reach my goals. I’m taking a very practical technical training course in high school that will help qualify me for my preferred job as a press mechanic.”—John.

However, they certainly allow for the reader to conclude that quitting, or at least not continuing to higher education is fine.

THINK ABOUT How can having short-term educational goals help you to make the most of your time at school?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

to engage in volunteer work.

That sentence really annoys me, as you know it means pioneering/bethel and definitely not any other form of volunteer work. Most JW kids that drop out to pioneer last a couple of years and enter the workforce after that anyway.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

And honestly, even if by "volunteer work" they meant real volunteer work- feeding the hungry, etc, would any parent consider letting their kid drop out of K-12 to pursue that? OK, maybe you want to drop out of college so you can go work in the Peace Corps. That's your choice to make, but to consider such a thing in K-12, I find very offensive.

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

Jw's do not volunteer their time to anyone but the wts. And why would you need to quit school if you wanted to volunteer somewhere else? Weekends, vacations and summer would work just as well.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Brother Dan,

I'm interested in hearing more about you quitting school and what your parents said aboout it, I've known people to quit school, but not because of any spiritual goals.

I would love to here about what you thought of people your age, and what they were doing compared to you.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

This is just another sneaky tactic the Watchtower uses to encourage its victims to sacrifice themselves to the organizaiton while not coming right out and saying it. I've heard that some states are making it illegal for kids to quit school before they turn 18. I wish every state would do it to keep these dirty bastards from continuing the victimization of jw youth.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Jamiebowers is dead on...this is a tactic to instill the idea of doing something that most teenagers dream about all the time. Today's teens are so stressed out and hate school anyway...reading this will be a relief. To think that quitting school is approved or acceptable feeds this desire.

This is a "dumbing down" tactic. The less education a person has, the better slave they are and will not question the 'masters'. Shame on that organization.Shame on them for being the inspiration to derail a perfectly good healthy young mind.

To all you young people: GO TO COLLEGE! It is AWSOME! I didn't go till I was 42 and loved every single minute of it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit