Is Shunning a Form of Bullying?

by I quit! 27 Replies latest jw friends

• nugget
    nugget

I worked for a company that produced health and safety literature. One of their booklets was on bullying at work and one of the things listed as bullying is shunning. so yes in any other setting it fits the definition.

• kramseivad
    kramseivad

im not a victim so there not bullying me

many jws still speak to us but no family

so i wonder if anyone has worked out why the ones who are supposed to care for you most treat you the worst

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Talespin wrote:

YES. In ancient times, banishment was considered the worst punishment. It IS TORTURE

I guess we should be glad the stoning doesn't come with it now..

Snoozy

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I never thought about it this way but you are all right, shunning IS bullying!

• sizemik
    sizemik

@ Essan . . .

Yes, in fact I think bullying is a rather weak term for it

I agree wholeheartedly. When quite young I was exposed to "institutionalised violence". It took the form of regular and sometimes injury causing violence that could not be countered . . . it had to be endured passively. The physical injuries would heal of course but the psychological scars remain with me over 40 years later. This experience has always been termed and referred to as "bullying", but in fact it was worse than that. Shunning on the other hand I believe is even worse than that again . . . much worse. Psychological torture is not an overstatement in my opinion.

@ Moshe . . .

Additionally, in past times banishment was the equivalent of a death sentence

You raise an appropriate parallel. As I read that I was reminded of the Mosaic Law provision of banishment to the "cities of refuge" . . . not too unlike the shunning arrangement . . . and reserved for those under sentence of death.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

WTBTS=Bullies

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Yes, it is a form of bullying ...in a emotional way. Sad as it is, the law condones it, and the Society is milking it.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Agree with us and do what we say or no one will ever talk to you again. Sounds like bullying to me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit