Is Shunning a Form of Bullying?

by I quit! 27 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

I think it is. If it were done by a group of children in school to another student the school would consider it a form of bullying. Are dubs bullying other dubs when they do this? To me it seems like a form childish behavior that you would only expect to see in grade school.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Emotional Blackmail is what I call it.

I'd rather have one real friend than hundreds of cult friends.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Interesting. If you look at it that way, I would say YES.

• Essan
    Essan

Yes, in fact I think bullying is a rather weak term for it.

The JW disfellowshipping policy is totally unscriptural and way more destructive and hurtful than anything advocated in the NT in this regard.

• Mary
    Mary

It is a form of emotional and mental torture, IMHO and should not be allowed.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Even kids won't shun a kid for that long, and it's innocent. Usually after a few minutes, they figure they taught you a lesson and all is well. The WT's adult version of shunning is Satanic and extremely destructive to emotional health.

JW's should only know how the universe really works. Crimes committed on the emotional plane are much more serious than the physical and create much greater negative karma.

~PS

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

It is a sick form of bullying. Sadly the WTS paints it for the benefit of the cong and even for the df one.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh yes, absolutely!!! It IS a particularly nasty and cowardly form of bullying, among other things...

Zid

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

LWT (as usual) has the perfect explanation. It IS emotional blackmail. Do you want your family back? How bout your loving friends? Then come back to Jehovah!!!

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist
    The WT's adult version of shunning is Satanic and extremely destructive to emotional health.

Satan ain't got nothing to do with it. Poor guy gets a bad rep for a lot of stuff that just plain isn't his fault.

I like the view of bullying though, you do have a point. And schoolyard shunning, for those of you that disagree, CAN be as long-lasting as JW shunning. I've experienced it myself. <_<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit