The fascinating mind of ANSELM (the man who proved God exists)

by Terry 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I remember a nun, who put an apple in one hand, then held up both hands for us to look at.

"Which is more perfect - the IMAGINARY apple in this hand, or the real apple in the other?"

Another question - "Which is more perfect - the imaginary invisible Gods bottom I am praying to, or the REAL invisible Gods bottom I am praying to?"

Last Question: "Which is more perfect - the imaginary red polka dotted handkerchief in one pocket, or the real red polka dotted handkerchief in the other? And NO! you may not turn out my pockets to verify this."

Since we cannot "turn out the pockets" of the universe, there is no way of knowing whether the imaginary or actual invisible God exists.

You cannot prove that because you can imagine something better than what you have imagined it must therefore exist.

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Just because you say that something (such as an invisible ultimate being) is possible doesnt make it so.

No more than saying something (such as an invisible ultimate being) makes it so.

Declaring something "POSSIBILE" does not make the cleverly crafted "evidence" for its alleged existence more compelling.

HB

• Terry
    Terry

What a good post Terry... Isn't that the same argument Christians use today? I'm not questioning God...but really, isn't that what we do? If someone says, "God can't exist because..." then we say, "You say that because you don't understand the greatness of God. You are relying on your OWN understanding."

Gives me something to think about, Terry...

I first was introduced to Anselm by Mortimer J. Adler in his wonderful book, HOW TO THINK ABOUT GOD.

In it, Adler demonstrated all the arguments through history for the existence of god and how each, in turn, must fail.

I remember really admiring the way Anselm's mind worked. I thought everybody here might enjoy putting their foot on top of Anselms and dancing along with him to get the feel of it.

If God wanted man to have a FREE MIND and the free mind man has will not allow man to understand God----what other outcome but the one we have is possible?

Square peg thinking in round holes does not a fit make.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit