What will they say as to why they don't celebrate ThanksGiving??

by lavendar 40 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

That's GOLD, Yan Bibiyan!!

• JWoods
    JWoods
    It's right up there with "witnessing" at graveyards on Memorial Day (or any day).

No, Blondie - NOTHING could quite be up there with that. Good lord - I had forgotten that one. I never did it, and I know a significant number of other good witnesses who would have nothing to do with it either. I think that might actually get somebody shot in Texas or Oklahoms, as a matter of fact...

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I've never done the graveyard thing either. There is no way in the world I will ever do that. Ever!!!

Thanksgiving witnessing sucks. I hate bothering people during their holidays. I also hate getting up early on my day off.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

true story

Shortly before I left I was out in "service" with 3 other women the driver who later turned me in to the elders for questioning the gb said to the car group "why is it again that we don't celebrate thanksgiving" the little old lady in the back seat piped up "its a pagan holiday" I said "no its not its not really anything" pin drop time subject changed quickly.

most witnesses especially don't get the reasons for thanksgiving boycott they just hem haw around it and obey.

• I quit!
    I quit!

A lot of JWs lucky enough to have an "unbelieving mate" cook a turkey on Thanksgiving without any guilt. Part of the headship thing they will tell you.

Another thing I have heard them say is that they don't do it because the "world" does it and they are no part of the world. Of course the "world" says please and thank you so I guess they shouldn't to that either.

• yknot
    yknot

*** g76 11/22 p. 13 A National “Day of Thanks”—The Dream and the Reality ***

What, then, is the modern-day Christian likely to conclude as he views this national holiday? Looking at many of the present practices, he may be reminded of Second Corinthians 6:14, where we read: “Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have?”

Naturally, many dedicated Christians will not be working secularly on that day. Some may choose to take advantage of this opportunity to enjoy fellowship with family and friends. Yet, what “spirit” will a Christian manifest? It is true that God created turkeys and other foods, so these are not in themselves objectionable. But undoubtedly one who is a true Christian will want to be careful not to stumble others.

((((( Lots of heavy-handed talk but ultimately it is a MOC ))))

If you really want them to come.....

(A) Say it is a football party with all the trimmings! Turkey, gravy, taters, pies.....

(B) Assure them you discern the WTS on 'Thanksgiving" as a holiday but then read them the above quote telling them you would like them to see the invitation as just a meal with the family, some football and a big left-over pack afterwards...... you promise that there attending won't stumble you!

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

But undoubtedly one who is a true Christian will want to be careful not to stumble others.

When all other arguments fail..........use the "stumble card." Never fails.

• elderelite
    elderelite

let me really give some active JW's something to think about.. not only did my family, for years, have a BIG meal on thanksgiving day, with turkey and all the works, and get away with not calling it thanksgiving,

we used to invite the CO and his wife. They came almost every year.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I actually went almost every year to witnesses houses to have turkey before the thursday night meeting on thanksgiving night. One year I made an indian "headress" with a feather and wore it with my suit to the turkey dinner before the meeting. Everyone got offended. Guess they didn't like me showing them that they were really celebrating the holiday. Same with Christmas. While my mom would be getting ready to go in service on December 25th, I'd play Christmas songs on the piano until she would start to yell at me.

I can understand not liking thanksgiving because of the myth of the pilgrams and indians and how the event ACTUALLY played out. But today it is not viewed in that way. It's a time for families to get together and appreciate each other. I have NO problem with it.

• undercover
    undercover

I imagine that cognitive dissonance raises it's ugly head around Thanksgiving for a good many JW.

You gather with family, you give thanks for the turkey and cranberry sauce, you have pumpkin pie for dessert, you eat too much, you watch the Cowboys game, you have a grand time... yet, you're not celebrating Thanksgiving. Just how do you justify what you did all day as not celebrating the holiday when it's no different from those that do celebrate it openly?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit