Covering your tracks on the computer after visiting JWN

by Quillsky 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I don't have to, fortunately, because I don't share my computer with anyone.

But I've been thinking, with empathy, about those that do. How far do you go to stop people realizing that you've been here? Do you log in and out every time? Do you delete your History every time you've been here? Delete your Cache? Temporary files?

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

On Internet Explorer and Firefox there is something called "privacy mode". Use the key combo CTRL-SHIFT-P to access it. All temporary files, cookies and history are either erased or never recorded in the first place. Check it out!

V665

• Violia
    Violia

I have a guest user profile all set up. When somone visits that I do not want seeing my links etc, I just switch over to the quest profile. My profile has a password on it, so once I log out, I don't think you could easily get into it.

• White Dove
    White Dove

My family lives a long ways away, but when they want to visit, I already told them to bring their own laptops because there is private stuff on mine that I don't want anyone seeing.

When they visit, we will see if there are any snoopers. But, just to be safe, I'm going to hide the keyboard and mouse, taking them out only when I want to use it.

I made that be a condition of their visit. My computer is private and not to be used by anyone.

I have a plug in plug thingy from my cell phone provider that makes any computer have Internet anywhere.

They can plug it into their own computers and get Internet that way.

They are just going to have to respect my privacy. It's that simple.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I rarely read and post at home. I regularly read the posts by accessing the site on my phone, anywhere (I've even done it at the hall). But occasionally I will use my home computer, with the browser in private mode, if I want to post and read. I can't post new threads from my phone. But I can respond to PM's.

Other than that, I handle my business elsewhere.

I wish I could be on this site as easily as I get onto Facebook. Oh well.

But I'll say this. If you have the ability to get on private mode on your browser, DO IT! It may suck to have to sign in every time. But at least you don't leave a trail, if you're in that situation.

CoC

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My Dubbies are frightened to go near my computer.

They are frightened to look at their own computers if I have been near them.

They should be afraid of you finding out who they are talking to.

They are the ones who are covering up flaws in their doctrines and prophesies. They are the ones with a history that needs to be hidden and swept under the carpet. They should be afraid of us.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

white dove - put a password on your computer? easier than hiding the mouse and keyboard?!

On topic, yea just use private browsing, in IE8 it's called InPrivate browsing, in Safari go to safari > private browsing, on Chrome start a new incognito window, Firefox has something similar, no idea on Opera, IE6 and IE7 don't have this feature (noone should be using these nasty browsers anyway!).

This will make sure anything looked at/downloaded during a private session will leave no traces at all.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Best bet is have more than 1 PC on the internet. I have a laptop always available for family when they come and want the internet, saves them from using my PC which I prefer they don't... I have about 50 tabs always open and about 10 of them relate to JWs and so find myself flicking to Ebay or the weather when someone comes in...

If you're stuck with one PC then install another browser and then move the link to run it somwhere you know (my documents maybe) and use that for JWN etc. Most people will open Internet explorer by default even if there are 3 other choices on the desktop especially if you leave IE over on the left and move the others over to the right on the desktop, but moving it out of the way would be safer.

Beyond that you're into accounts and access rights private browsing sessions etc.

Cheers

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I recommed Google Chrome as a browser for those worried about being uncovered. If you right click (double click on a mac) on the google chrome icon and launch "new incognito window" it does not keep a history of your site visits.

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

Do you log in and out every time?

YES

Do you delete your History every time you've been here?

YES

Delete your Cache?

YES

Temporary files?

YES

Also use a window washer proggie! To be seen on here would just raise issues and problems that I an not ready to deal with at the mo!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit