They didnt leave because of doctrine-they left BECAUSE OF THEMSELVES!

by Joliette 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joliette
    Joliette

This is an actually quote made by a district overseer at a convention in DeKalb Illinois in August of 2008...yep, no joking, swear on a holy bible...he ACTUALLY said that. Just thought about the quote and thought I should post it to share it with the fellow 'apostates' (sarcasm).

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Someone needs to corner him and ask for a definition.

Get an explanation for it and get it on tape.

• designs
    designs

Well I suppose in one sense we did leave because we value ourselves.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

My mom was recently preaching to me about how a recent Watchtower claims people who do private research and learn things from the Internet end up leaving the Borg due to pride. My response was that yes, I DO have some of what they would call pride but that I call it self-respect and self-respect is exactly what they do NOT want their members to have. She changed the subject.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yes, and people leave alot of other cults after doing research and discovering the absolute control the powerful leadership weilds over its subjects. Aren't JWs happy when someone leaves another religion? As long as the path is TO the Watchtower as opposed to AWAY, the JWs are happy, friendly people.

Freedom of religion is the ability to BOTH enter and to LEAVE a religion.

• Essan
    Essan

They demonize people who leave. That's how they prevent others from pondering on why the best and brightest among them eventually exit the organization.

"They left because there was something fundamentally wrong with them" is what they say to avoid having to face the question: "is there something fundamentally wrong with us?".

• chickpea
    chickpea

They didnt leave because of doctrine-they left BECAUSE OF THEMSELVES

evidently and apparently

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Ha Decalb is where my old hall is assigned .....now they all know I left because of myself......

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

So, it's pride, eh? If you really think about it, this remark is supposed to play on people's fear of seeming 'vain'. So, this is more manipulation to keep people from running away. This is designed to have people doubting themselves.

Let's see now: I found out that the religion I joined was not what it said it was. They misrepresented themselves. I learned things a little at a time and it was like peeling the layers of an onion. I did not like how I was treated and I witnessed appalling attitudes. I saw dysfunctional people and found out personally how I could be left reeling from a bad experience if I 'trusted' these people.

I found out from internet sites what the religion was hiding from people all along: their past and how they have reinvented themselves many times. I also found out about how they betrayed their followers by joining the U.N. I found out the extent of child molestation cases and even saw an expose on television. I saw how unaccountable the religion is if anybody is harmed by following their teachings.

At the end of 2000, I made a decision that I would disentangle myself from this trap I stepped into. Not only could I no longer be a part of this, I could not in good conscience bring somebody else there and tell them this is 'truth'.

• simon17
    simon17

I've heard it in a slightly more obnoxious form: "No JW ever left over doctrine. The only leave because of conduct." I know a lot of people who have been encouraged by that thought and seen it as "proof" of it being the truth.

Of course that is easy to claim because anyone who leaves over doctrine can never be spoken to so who can disprove the claim.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit