I'm not who I think I really am.

by Mindchild 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

There was a story I used to tell a lot about a scientist who worked in the nuclear power industry. This scientist had a job of public relations and would go around to different groups around the country. He was afraid to fly anywhere though, so the company provided him a chauffer to take him from city to city.

Somewhere in the course of giving the same speech over and over again, the chauffer tells him: Doc, I’ve heard you give this same speech now a couple of dozen times, and I have it memorized word for word. I tell you what, why don’t we have some fun and switch places this time, and I will give the speech and you can pretend to be my driver.

So, they agree to try this plan, and they arrive at the new auditorium and the driver gets up in front of the audience and gives the speech word for word just like the scientist would and finally gets ready to leave the stage but someone from the audience stands up and asks him the most difficult question you can possibly imagine about nuclear energy.

Thinking for a moment, the driver replies: Sir that is a dumb question. It is the dumbest question I have ever heard, In fact that question is so dumb, my chauffer in the back of the room can answer that for you!

I was reminded of this story tonight because I happened to run into Farkel in the chat room and he made an interesting observation about my posts. I forget his exact wording but it was something along the lines that while the material I presented was factual it was devoid of feeling, had little emotion and was something along the lines of just being dispassionate. He asked me further if this was really the person I was like inside as well.

It didn’t take long for me to reply to him that there was a difference in the way I was, and that I thought I was passionate and have emotional convictions for my ideas, but now I wonder how accurate that was. I really think that like the story above, I am switching roles and I'm the chauffer at the podium.

It gets scary how deep I think sometimes and thinking about your own thinking is probably the scariest thing you can do. Looking inside myself I see a big tangled mass of confusion and potential but at the same time some fear for me really being me. I know that I’m only using a very small percentage of my potential in what I can accomplish in life but it seems like I’m afraid to step on the gas and see what this baby will do, instead I play things safe and conservatively, careful not to stir up too much shit. The problem I see though is that what comes out (in terms of collective behavior) is only a part of me. It isn’t my wild and adventurous side.

My wild side has gotten me into a lot of trouble in the past (big trouble) but at the same time it pushed me to make incredible accomplishments. It doesn’t seem to have a moderation switch, it either goes ON or OFF. When it is on…I’m really a different person than you see reflected here. I become totally alive and while I don’t ride a Chopper and raise Hell, I’m typically dancing right on that line of what I can get away with, sometimes across it.

So, I’m trying to figure out something. Do you think it is better to be really YOU and accept you for what you are and learn to live with it, or do you STOMP down the part of you that is not culturally acceptable or your wild child?

Kind Regards,

Skipper

• bigboi
    bigboi
    So, I’m trying to figure out something. Do you think it is better to be really YOU and accept you for what you are and learn to live with it, or do you STOMP down the part of you that is not culturally acceptable or your wild child?

Well, all the parts of a person make up one whole. It's really the circumstance that determines what side of your personality u choose to show. Atleast that's what I think. However, I always try to stay true to myself and not put on pretenses for anyone.

Can't forget balance either. I think it's good to try to balance the various aspects of your personality.

ONE.....

bigboi

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Skipper,What do you think?..I believe if you crush your creative side you are dead...OUTLAW

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Mindchild,

That is rich coming from you after you insult me and chastise me in the chat room tonight for my style and presentation.

• 4horsemen
    4horsemen

Mindchild, the oft quoted saying...

I think, therefore I am.

Or is it

Farkel thinks therefore I am?

What do you think? For example, take Cygnus critique of you above. What if Cygnus had asked you what Farkel had? Would you have rejected his observation outright? Is it fair to say... probably?

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not. But who are you? That is what this life is to find out.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Can't accept that Mindchild.

You've got this mind and its there to be used. So, you feel maybe a little 'disjointed' presently, but your mind is part of some greater vision, which time is to come not yet, but maybe many years into the future. Your subconscious already knows this, but your lighter mind is still assimilating and catching up upon your deeper intuitive intelligence capabilities. The thinking behind thinking and latent intellectual, emotional and creative driving force is strong in you, so in order to 'cope' with so much energy you need an outlet. My advice is to look once more upon your entrepreneurial stategic stepping stones that you are applying in line with your 5 10 15 20 year goal setting exercises and adjust when the time is right what is nessarsary for you to accomplish upon what you set yourself out to do.

A good intelligent, charismaticly independent lady is what you need too long term to share each others load.

You'll get there, you'll see.

Peace and WhatKnot(?)

Email me if you need further conversations.

Mark

• kenny2
    kenny2

Hey Mindchild,

Go buy a Harley.

K2

• beepers
    beepers

Hey Skip-[:X:X:X]

I think it is always best to be true to yourself. If you aren't then you become emotionally weak and then unhappy with your life. It took me a very long time to get that. Remember- To thine own self be true.

Amy

• illuminati
    illuminati

Well, if you consider that through Christ you can step on scorpions and serpents, you can drink poisen and not die, you can overcome the devil and his horde of demons, you can be called a CHILD OF GOD, you become a Prince of all of creation (since Jesus is King over all of creation and we are his Children, that would make us princes and princesses) and many, MANY more... yeah, I'd think that it's best to stay exactly who you are. Why lose out on so many things by trying to be someone else?

Hope this helped somewhat ;)

In Him,
    <><

• proplog2
    proplog2

People are always "themselves". "You've got to be your REAL SELF" is 1960's BS psychobabble.

Some people really ARE phony - it's their natural way of being.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit