Was the legend about Smurfs being demonic just an urban legend, or was it mentioned in the literature?

by IsaacJ22 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

I don't think that smurfs actually represent anything demonic, but I heard a form of poltergeist specifically on toys or any other objects, in my youth I saw a mug fly out the window due to poltergeist activity around the house, are mugs satanic? no.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

same as Black Sheep, the smurf stories did the rounds in New Zealand back in the 80s as my younger brother had all his Smurf toys taken away from him & a ban put on watching the tv show due to these stories.

I was at his place a few years ago and he too was carrying on the same as not letting his kids watch for the same reasons.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

This is interesting stuff, especially the other (non-Smurf) examples of knee jerk reactions. I may be able to use some of that. Thanks everybody!

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Marcus, thanks. The rumours made it to London and the home counties by 1983.

Sab, Papa Smurf would definitely have knocked the stuffing out of a Care Bear.

MMXIV

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In the Smurf hysteria there were JWs that I know personally who experienced their own "demonized" Smurf events. Hysteria will do that to an imagination and a receptive mind.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ohhhhh yes, I remember that Toys-R-Us story. I watched that episode of That's Incredible, and then I bought the That's Incredible book that had a chapter write-up of the Toys-R-Us ghost episode. I hadn't ever heard of Toys-R-Us before, as there were no such stores in Hawaii, so I thought on account of the story that the name "Toys-R-Us" sounded a little creepy. But at the same time, I was skeptical of the story. I also was hugely into the Smurfs at the time; I regularly watched it as well as Fraggle Rock which was also popular at the time. But where I lived, there was zero said about the Smurfs. Rather, what I remember people talking about was Michael Jackson (Thriller being soooo demonic), Knight Rider (a talking car? must be demonic!), and Ripley's Believe It or Not with Jack Palance (which frequently had supernatural themes). Smurfs were A-OK where I lived, at least in the early 80s.

• Black Sheep
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I love the 1978 Thats Incredible show clip! The camera switches to the hosts who are laughing before becoming stoic faced and relate the scary tale of a ghost investigation. I also like that the 1869 ghost is wearing bell bottoms.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I love the 1978 Thats Incredible show clip! The camera switches to the hosts who are laughing before becoming stoic faced and relate the scary tale of a ghost investigation. I also like that the 1869 ghost is wearing bell bottoms.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What about when black JW teenagers believed that Michael Jackson, whose weird character and possible criminality is well documented, believed that he was the Archangel Michael in the Bible?

MJ and Prince would be great subjects for an article on the Witnesses. While he was still active, I heard rumors he was a Witness before it was confirmed. When I turned on the TV and witnessed wonderful but overtly sexual movements such as grabbing his crotch, I was stunned then angry. How could it be on broadcast TV. I was forbidden to play cards, to dance, to date,........people here know what I was forbidden. It just blew my mind. Like my travails in becoming a lawyer and then finding a law review article written by a female lawyer for the Society. How do they take the oath? I could not. Lawyers are an important part of government, even those who represent unpopular causes. It is such enmeshment in worldly affairs. What about standing up when a judge enters? I digress but I am miffed. She received a little note from me congratulating her on breaking all the rules and reviewing my situation. I never received an answer as to why she was better situated for approval than I was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit