Question: How, exactly, does philosophy underpin science?

by bohm 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    To trust that science "works" means you have to believe in the assumptions, at least implicitly, if not explicitly

I don't need to believe or have faith that E=MC 2 in order to be vaporized by a nuclear device; the difficulty I am having is the idea that was thrown out that philosophy has a part in this equation or the predictable outcome of the science.

E=MC 2 is not a CONCEPT or assumption that I need to believe in, any more than gravity is an assumption that I need to believe in in order to be crushed by a falling piano.

Gravity is a theory, yes, but this is not the same as an assumption, like in the assumption that god created the universe.

So far I am not feeling the whole philosophy underpinning science.

• bohm
    bohm

To trust that science "works" means you have to believe in the assumptions, at least implicitly, if not explicitly

In additions to what pistoff said, to trust whatever is used to support science, one has to trust the assumptions that in turn is based on.

I dont know how philosophy try to cut that knot, but i have an idea it is something like: "we think. it works. therefore its true" - which is not entirely different from the emperical claim science work, therefore its true :-).

• Terry
    Terry

I dont know how philosophy try to cut that knot, but i have an idea it is something like: "we think. it works. therefore its true" - which is not entirely different from the emperical claim science work, therefore its true :-).

The accuracy of science is astounding.

How do you get that little mars rover from our planet whirling in space to another planet whirling in space without astonishing powers of accuracy?

Imagine riding on the back of a galloping horse and firing a pistol at a target in the flatbed of a truck miles away as it speeds down the highway.

I have no problems with the empirical claims of science. I have problems with the efforts of people of faith to undermine science so that they can feel okay about the unprovable concepts they hold dear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit