Ft. Lauderdale (Griffin Rd.) Assembly Hall

by pubtruth 20 Replies latest jw friends

• pubtruth
    pubtruth

I'm a little shocked they would go this far, then again Jehovah's quickening the pace...?

I was at my last day of the Spanish 2-Day Circuit Assembly when they went over the announcements, one of them the economic report. It did start off good (for them) mentioning last assembly's (district i assume) actual surplus after the operation costs were taken care of. Then the tone changed and the one in charge of giving the news got a bit annoyingly loud.. "As for this assembly's Operating Costs which are of $16,000~ we currently only have been able to acheive the mark of $5,000~, leaving a deficit of $11,000~..." You could see some flustered faces all over after he went on a banter urging everyone to donate. After that they announced an elders meeting during the lunch break.

Well, I guess we were getting warmed up for the bad news at the end. The whole afternoon program was brought back 10 mins earlier for this announcement by none other than the District Overseer; it went something like this:

Well everyone, we have made history here today. A Series of firsts and lasts. You may ask why? Well Brothers and Sisters this is the first Assembly of the new Service year 2010-11! We have the priviledge to be one the first series of congregations to meet for the assembly this service year. Now why last? Well this marks 30 years of service of this assembly hall, it has grown old, and fallen into some disrepair. The Assembly commitee got together and figured what should be done along with the guide of the Governing Body. After much prayerfull consideration we have decided that remodeling is much too costly to do, having the $11,000 deficit we have... The Governing Body, with the aid of Jehovah has decided to put the whole Assembly Hall property for sale. This will be the last time we will meet here.. we might meet once again here in January for our Special Day, but for the moment it is uncertain. For this is news that I myself also just got. The Society has sent letters to all the BOEs in all of the circuit's congregations with further details and instructions. Currently the plan is for next assembly to be tentatively be held at the West Palm Beach Christian Convention Center, which is far underused during Circuit Assemblies, that hall is also costly to maintain and the best solution is to consolidate the circuit assemblies over there.

...Later he went on about not to doubt that this was Jehober's decision And not to blame the Gibbering Body for anything. (a few biblical texts) This was followed with another plea to donate Song 4 and Prayer... They're bleeding out for sure..

Many brothers we're a bit solemn and most of them were chatting of memories that took place there... I am sad to see it go because I went there since I was practically born and I actually had fun, but I'm actually glad the cult will have one less brain washing center..

Something to peruse:

Property records for the Assembly Hall

Main building http://66.55.51.198/default.htm?cmd=ZOOMPARCEL&folio=503934010010 ..at the back theres a empty lot and another lot the relief supply warehouse is at, I assume they're gonna get rid of that too..

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

OMG, I helped build that assembly hall when I was a kid. The one with the pictures on the walls and the little pond out front?

The circuit overseer at the time had a little room that had drums and guitars in it (they lived on the premises but I cant remember their names...it was early 80's). We used to have sing-alongs/get togethers there all the time.

• blondie
    blondie

Sounds like the real issue is getting more circuits to use the West Palm Beach facility. It was an expensive remodel and with the cost of upkeep, selling smaller facilities and sending circuits there, makes monetary sense.

How many circuits are affected?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Was this the one that was built in the mid-80s?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I would guess by the speed of the descision, that it was made well before the convention. They were just using the announcements to induce a bit of guilt.

Maybe the real reason is the noisy bugger over the road on the go-kart

Think of it as a closing down sale.

• pubtruth
    pubtruth

Yes it is the one built in the 80's with the pond and the beautiful beveled walls. BTW that pond gets filthier each year.. My mother contributed to the building effort as well.. It's of course about using the WPB facility more given that it's only 30 minutes away from this one. As for how many circuits, I presume all Miami-Dade and parts of Broward Counties, possibly the keys..

The rumor mill is churning of a possible university purchasing the land (20 acres, they bought additional land in 1991) for $25 Mil.. But we'll see what develops, I'm anxious to see what they read at my congo this week...

I fixed the link I posted above: http://66.55.51.198/default.htm?cmd=ZOOMPARCEL&folio=503934010010

Update: the next Circuit assembly WILL BE (even if Griffin is not sold yet) held at WPB Convention Center, It was the definite last circuit assembly there for this section of the circuit.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

WPB is used by those in SW Florida as well. I live in Ft. Myers and my mom goes there. That one is definitely economically more viable. They made a shitpot of cash selling outlying parcels to businesses like Home Depot and McDonald's.

• metatron
    metatron

Yes! This is wonderful! They are willing to screw the friends over to make a few bucks! Yee Hah!

metatron

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Let them close that ASSembly hall and hope one of the hurricanes this season wipes out the WPB one. Never carry all of your eggs in one basket.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

During these tough times, the Organization is making the best cost-effective decisions; and the preaching work as well as the brotherhood association, which are the most important things, continue on just as strong as ever.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit