No More Bookbags in Service?

by White Dove 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carvin
    carvin

asilentone- you are so right, those big bags are a status symbol. When I was first diped, and started to piosneer, I was about to order myself one of those big bags, because I was really into reasearch. My father and another elder both told me not to because they were for elders.

I know a few elders who would fill their bag so full of papers,mags, books, etc that they could not find anything in them. But boy did they look so theocratic. Then there were the elders that had this huge bag, with a WT,KM, Bible, and a Flock book. Oh yea a pen and a highlighter. They didn't look as "important" but they hadwhat they needed which was the point of having a bag to begin with, but the overkill on those large bags is silly.

• designs
    designs

I loved the briefcase years, you could carry 20lbs of literature in one of those things. It kept all of the Witness Chiropractors in business.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i havent been to a KH in over 4 years
    but i remember the trend developing
    (as "suggested" by the elduhs) to
    carry only a bible and a folder with
    the offered litterature...

DEMONstrations during the service meetings
    to show how simple it all could be...

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Remember magazine day. The co. carried a small pocket Bible, invitations to the hall and mags roll up in his hand. Oh, and an open short sleeve shirt.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I remember elders' big box bags sitting in the isle by their chairs. You just knew an elder was sitting there.

They don't carry "Good News for All Nations" or the "Reasoning from the Scriptures," anymore?

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

When I was an elder, I had a large case with wheels and a retractable handle. Of course, being secretary, I could probably justify it a bit better (esp when I also cared for territory briefly). After I quit the cult, I carried my school books for college in it. Since our school has so many stairs and slow elevators, I moved to a small canvas bag (ironically I had from an international convention...since it just said Hamburg Germany and not JW stuff, it was fine).

The large case is now in the garage.

Snakes (Rich )

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

yknot-are you an active witness?

• BigRed02RR
    BigRed02RR

We are encouraged to catry a bookbag. It does not have to be very large or have something for every question.

We should have a Bible, Reasoning From the Scriptures book, a ew Bible Teach books. Magazines, material for the special offer, Not-At-Home slips. pencile or pen.

The person accompaning the one taking the door should have the same thing.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Maybe it's for stealth. Well-dressed people carrying book bags are a give-away, much like young men in dark suits riding bicycles. When any of them appear in the neighborhood, doors shut and curtains draw closed.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In addition, I would presume that this is just another way to waste the witlesses' money on getting new expensive equipment at the whim of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. You need to throw away perfectly good equipment (this goes as much for colored shirts as it does now for circus bags) and get updated equipment, wasting money. Then, they will change the rules again a few years later, after they are sure everyone threw away their old equipment, rendering the new equipment useless again and forcing the witlesses to waste yet more time and money shopping for new equipment.

As likely as not, the "new" equipment will be identical to what they once had to throw away the first time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit