No More Bookbags in Service?

by White Dove 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• White Dove
    White Dove

Every time I see JW's in service, they are not carrying bookbags but rather plastic holders and small fold over purses to hold them.

What ever happened to the big ol' bookbag in service?

• yknot
    yknot

We have been encouraged to only place litertrash with right-hearted ones.........

Brothers really don't need them anymore. A folder with a few mags, couple tracts and a brochure or two and bible tucked away in pocket along with one token 'bible teach' just doesn't require the 'doctor bag' ....... (Elders in my Hall still carry Dr.Bags to meetings, MSs briefcases but not in F)

As far as the Sisters...... I am guilty! I borrowed a bag another Sister bought from MinistryIdeaz awhile back and made a bunch of fabric/canvas knock-offs.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Along with what Ynot said, it's easier carrying less in field service. Less stress on the shoulder and back. I couldn't imagine back in the day carrying the record player, or even the huge briefcases I see brothers still taking to the KH for meetings. No way in the world I'm carrying one of those huge briefcases. When I graduated high school, an older brother and his wife, both of whom I love dearly, gave me a huge briefcase as a graduation present. I still have that thing, but I haven't used it in years. I have a lightweight, leather service bag I use for everything now.

• asilentone
    asilentone

It is usually a sign if a brother is carrying a huge briefcase to the Kingdom Hall, then he must be an elder.

• avengers
    avengers

I saw several bethelites yesterday in town and there were several carrying big bookbags.
    The women were carrying their "normal" purses.

Andy

• White Dove
    White Dove

When I was a PI in 1997, I carried an overnight sized bookbag and so did all the other sisters.

Now, that's disappeared.

• robson
    robson

Yeah, that was like 2 0r 3 years ago when I heard an elder telling me what to bring to field service a plastic holder and a small briefcase is enough the FDS is telling us to be more selective in our preaching techniques at that time I didn't pay attention to it.

later it was said that those who still were bringing briefcases to field service were not obeying the wise servant. One of them directly came to me and said mine was too big I told him elder as you know I speak 4 languages and in our area I get to place literature to people who speak what I speak that is why I have to carry this briefcase, he never mentioned nothing more.

I mean I'm not from the states and I speak to people they never spoke to so is like me a young bro who is illegal and can't have any privileges in the org witnessing to neighbors who enjoy a word in their language.

I had many dreams about being in the org and doing missionary work and so forth but since I got here and accidentally going online to check a scripture on google everything started to become doubtful in my mind. to this day I come to my senses and I see things differently so I don't know what to do anymore. out of context sorry needed to speak.

• elderelite
    elderelite

interesting story robson, tell us more...

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    I've only been to a KH 2 times. I asked my wife what they put in those "Big Honkin Briefcases" and she just looked at me. Didn't answer.

bwahahaha..that made me laugh out loud.

lisa

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The WTS has been slowly moving toward having JWs not really being able to defend themselves and their beliefs in the ministry. Those bookbags were filled with all sorts of "tools" to help you defend yourself and wage spiritual warfare, but now, they just want them to read a few scriptures and place magazines or a brochure. They view theological discussion as a waste of time.

The Witnoids ran with this (because who really wants to talk to people in depth about their beliefs) and got on the bandwagon with those little man-purse folder thingies. Briefcases are passe. Except in some territories if I still went door to door I would definitely bring a big briefcase simply because of the dogs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit