Well I threw all the bound volumes, and literature into the dumpster today

by gubberningbody 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

I agree with ASO.

My plan is to sell all my parents WTS stuff once my Dad goes and then put the money to good use. They have over 50 years worth! I think some will go to charity, some to their grandchildren whom they've neglected for years.

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

When we were throwing all our books out I picked up the Aid book and an envelope fell out. Inside was £1500. We were broke, we had just lost our business and in the process of losing our house.

Hmm was that a sign that the W/T god did care....... nah my husband had stashed it there quite a while before and forgot all about it. He very often did that with money he had taken after the banks had closed on a saturday and kept it snuck away till they opened on monday.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I did the same a few months back - I must admit I kept my Talk outlines and notes until only very recently, I had put a lot of work into them.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I like Heaven's idea to sell the crap and give the money to others....that way the books can keep on changing lives.

I would like to have one of those old green bibles with the dinosaur on inside back cover.

lisa

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Did the same. Did not want to poison anybody else.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Mine ended up in the dumpster on a rainy night, so they would be soaking wet and probably soaked with the most disgusting substances from other people's garbage if anyone else tried to pull them out. And they were put in the bottom of the dumpster near the middle.

The rags and Kingdumb Miserys ended up in my shredder.

• Too Opinionated
    Too Opinionated

We did that too, a few years ago. We knew we should have recycled them, but we didn't want anyone to find them and get sucked into the cult that way. Hey, I got in because of literature that was left in a laundromat, so I know it can happen. We just put them in big, black garbage bags and put it out with the trash. There were so many bags! I know we could have gotten money for the very old items we had, but we needed to cleanse ourselves once and for all.

We couldn't believe how freeing that whole process was!

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I agree with Too Opinionated. My mother died two years ago. She spent the last 2 1/2 months of her life in a nursing home. When I was in Charlotte during her final months I spent part of the time cleaning out her house. One week my hubby and I cleaned out her attic which was full of boxes and boxes of JW literature--books, WT, Awakes, KM, you name it. Probably notes and outlines from talks my father gave, etc. We also put all that crap in big , black garbage bags and put it out on the street. There WERE so many bags! This was stuff from pre -1953 to 1978. I needed to cleanse myself once and for all also. It was so freeing to see those bags being picked up and put in that sanitation truck! The ironic thing is the JWs were out in my mother's neighborhood that very day! Too weird. I found this forum very shortly after that. Maybe even that night.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

A few months back I emptied a whole stack of magazines and a few books into the recycling bin outside my garage door. It was all very therapeutic until a herd of swine lept out of the bin and headed straight for the precipice at the end of our street.

Seriously though...I always felt more than a twinge of guilt, throwing out the Wt's and Awakes we didn't place. (Bro's. in Bethel work so hard...food from Jehovah's tabel etc.) They'd stack up in a closet until I finally had to do something about it. I'd tear the covers off in case someone might see them in the garbage and it would bring shame on the Organization. Then I'd feel guilty that maybe if the covers were still on someone might have read them and "come into the truth". I realize now that I was raised to think this literature was somewhat holy. I can appreciate what a significant step it was for you, GB and the others here when it came time to rid yourselves of something you once held in high regard but then found it to be the source of what had misled you for so long.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Formal Act of True Freedom

Kudos to you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit