Awake Ignores Own Flood Date - Gets Caught

by Jackson 21 Replies latest jw friends

• David Gladden
    David Gladden
    ...the Noachian Flood... evidently took place less than 5,000 years ago.

Interesting how they said that the flood "evidently" took place. I guess the org is becoming even more reluctant to state ANY specifics, even if it comes directly out of their bible.

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Hi everyone, I was watching the something on the Discover Channel, or maybe it was the Learning Channel, don't remember which, it was several weeks ago. But it spoke about the fact that Science has now found proof, by studying DNA of humans that mankind has been around for millions of years and at certain periods in the history of man, there was a recent cataclysmic event that involved a huge volacanic eruption that caused mass extinctions of species of animal, and almost wiped out the human race. They referred to a "bottlenecking" of Human DNA during the events that is carried through the DNA of women. It was fascinatiing, and I thought how this totally would minimize the Bible's creation account according to Watchtower. Did anyone see this?

• borgfree
    borgfree

Hi plmkrzy,

When I started school, 1944, I started learning about dinosaurs, when I came home talking about them, I was told that they never existed, that the scientists made it up.

Also, when I was very small, I was told that the people building the tower of babel, built it so high, that they could hear the angels singing. I have never met anyone who had heard that before, anyone here ever heard of that?

Borgfree

"Without knowledge there can be no genuine faith--only superstition on the one hand or speculation on the other" Robert Banks
  • SYN
    SYN

The WT has always been a bit vague about dinosaurs and so on, and their supposed 'timeline' of events on Earth is so completely out of whack it should be an entry in a joke book, seriously.

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• AlanF
    AlanF

About the WTS view of dinosaurs: I haven't looked into what WTS publications said prior to about 1960, but by 1961 the Society was certainly acknowledging the existence of dinosaurs. The original 1961 NWT "green bible" has a map of the Mediterranean region on the inside front cover, and one of the animals depicted looks like the classic "brontosaurus". I vaguely remember reading something about the Society speculating that dinosaurs lived in tropical conditions on Venus; I believe the reference was to 1920s-1930s WTS literature, perhaps to Golden Age. The two most "authoritative" WTS publications on "creation" after Russell died were the 1943 book The Truth Shall Make You Free and the 1927 book Creation. These largely followed Russell's ideas. Perhaps someone who has these books can take a look and see if there are any references to dinosaurs.

AlanF

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

AlanF:

Do you think anyone from the WTS prior to 1961 visited the Museum of Natural History in N.Y.? Or the University of Nebraska Museum in Lincoln or numerous other museums where skeletal evidence of dinosaurs have been on display for almost 100 years? I find it quite disturbing that any group of rational people could deny the tangible evidence that dinosaurs once roamed the earth. More disturbing to me is how long it took me to catch on to the idiocy of the WTS.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son." Dean Vernon Wormer, Faber College

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi all,

It seems that in the post-1975 period, the Soiety has made a conscious decision to distance itself from its 7,000-year creative day hypothesis, if not from several foundational aspects of its chronological underpinners.

They've often scuttled obsolescent ideas gradually, by dropping any mention of them in print, in the hopes that they will recede from the collective memory of the rank and file.

It's another form of inellectual dishonesty that precludes them from the simple honesty of printing something like: ``you may have noticed we've dropped any reference to (whatever); that's because, upon reflection, we've concluded that our current understanding is more accurate.''

• badboy
    badboy

Aroarer,about 70,000 years ago `Mount Toba' in Sumatra erupted causins a human population bottleneck.
    cf. Times atlas of History or somesuch title.

The JWs still say that human history started about 4,000 BC.

I have heard one JW say so!

Obiously it has not been abadoned(sic)

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Thanks badboy, I knew I had heard it somewhere. I honestly can't understand how they can still hold on to the teaching of the 4000 BC.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy drah.....

Hard name to type correctly, btw.

I find it quite disturbing that any group of rational people could deny the tangible evidence that dinosaurs once roamed the earth.

More disturbing to me is how long it took me to catch on to the idiocy of the WTS. - drah

How droll. And how true! Lol.

As for the WTBTS locals - yeah, at least they espouse to still believe that creation happened with Adam & Eve 4000 BCE. The dinasaurs happened sometime before that and nobody knows....and nobody talks about that. Would cause too much specuation - and we're not supposed to do that, ya know.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit