Ta-da! We didn't get shunned.....this time

by Mulan 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

We were in the liquor store yesterday, and a former JW friend of ours walked in. He looked right at me, and I could tell he was going to shun me, but looked again, and I smiled at him, and said "Hi B_ _ _" He returned a greeting, walked over to my husband, who was looking at some whisky and shook his hand, and they chatted for a bit.

So, we decided that it must be okay to talk to us, as long as we are in a liquor store.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• WindRider
    WindRider

Im so glad for you, Mulan. I would like to think there is a trend toward Witnesses lightening up a bit when it comes to shunning. Making up their own minds when they run into former Witnesses; at least when no is looking.

Sincerely, Windrider

• LB
    LB

Mulan that reminds me of something. When I was your typical self righteous JW I usually said HI to anyone that was DFed. I didn't think about it, just a habit for me. I did it once in front of an elder and he actually didn't say a word about it. Well, one young lady that got re-instated told me the only reason she came back was because of my greetings. She felt that I had "softened her heart".

I guess I should feel guilty about that now I suppose.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Makena1
    Makena1

Mulan - glad you had a nice experience - who knows, perhaps as you said it was because you met in a liquor store?

My theory is that it's because of you and your husband's magnetic personalities!

All best,
    Mak & Sabine

Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, & over these ideals they dispute & cannot unite--but they all worship money.
    - Mark Twain

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Mulan, perhaps it was the spirit(s) that purified you and made it possible for Him to be polite and somewhat friendly. So meet all the xjdubs in the liquor store and the spirit will help you. Just a thought. Buff

• Hairy Harr
    Hairy Harr

Mulan - You know what they say..."Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker."
    HH

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I just wonder if they would have given a friendly greeting if other JWs were there? From my experience, it seems that many are friendly, as long as no one sees them. Perhaps their heart just isn't in the shunning, but they don't want to be caught.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• Erich
    Erich

LB:

Well, one young lady that got re-instated told me the only reason she came back was because of my greetings. She felt that I had "softened her heart".

Yes, LB. That is exactly that many of us experienced many times...
    Collective "administrative" shunning and df'ing is UNBIBLICAL.
    It is absolutely contraproductive for increase of Christian Love in congregations.

But the WTS obviously doesn't grasp it.

They refer to 1.Corinth.5:11-13 and 2.John 20, but there did never exist a sort of shunning or df'ing through a COLLECTIVE order from higher functionaries (elders), that was administrated and supervised...
    It was always INDIVIDUALLY performed, and subject to ones own conscience, sense and perception.

Maybe I err. If so, please let me know. I will go to withdraw this my opinion then.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Mulan,

It HAS to be how nice you are, that made the JW you encountered act somewhat human!

Erich,

Good post. You are absolutely right, collective shunning is evil. It is used to control people, and not to bring about righteousness. You made no error here!

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• LB
    LB

Erich keep that opinion, you are as right as can be. You've even found scriptual reasons to stay away from shunning. All I found was human reasons.

Almost laughable when it is said that Disfellowshipping (and then shunning) someone is a loving act isn't it?

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit