KH school on christmas day & new years day

by dozy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
    dozy

When I was an elder I used to hate the WTS organising KM schools on Christmas or New Years Day ( like they are doing again this year) & I know many other elders & ms felt the same. It always struck me as a foolish time of year to organise these meetings. For many it was the time of the year when they had family staying on holiday. Transport was restricted or even unavailable - hotels were either fully booked , very expensive or closed. Naturally host congregations struggled to get volunteers to provide accommodation for elders staying overnight (who wants people you've never met before staying in your house over Christmas?) I know a few elders who (bravely) complained but it would seem that the WTS have not taken any notice of them.

Is this purely a control related decision or is it just another piece of evidence that the WTS are completely out of touch with the rank & file?

• nelly136
    nelly136

one way of ensuring most are on holiday and available and reinforces christmas is just another day in j-dubdum, its not like jws should have any special arrangements for those days

• fokyc
    fokyc

BUT REMEMBER -- -- -- Jehovah organizes all of this;

through his Faithful and Discrete Slave and the Governing Body,

YOU must obey!

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi Dozy, it just shows how out of touch the borg are with rank n file. I used to hate CO's visits over Christmas/New Year. Not canceling ones holiday plans was seen as a bad attitude and evidence that one did not wish to "reach out"... Cheers, Mattieu

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I agree my husband has to attend during Thanksgiving week. We both have it off and it sucks, he is not happy. I told him to let the CO know that he was spending Thanksgiving with wife.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Personally I hope that they do it every year on Christmas Day.

Because we all know that JWs enjoy the "Pagan Holidays" as much as everyone else does apart from they don't decorate and give presents.
    Actually lots do give presents - a day or so later to keep up this facade of "not celebrating". And virtually all have big family gatherings etc.

Totally hypocritical.

I think the WT should organise special meetings on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and insist everyone turns up!
    Extra Field Service too!!

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

It's control isn't it. They don't let you have fun or do anything.

In the congregation we used to attend the elders wouldn't let you have a bar at a wedding or at a congregation get together. The usual excuse was incase someone got a bit tipsy and brought reproach upon Jehovah's name. Of course if an elders offspring was getting married.... now that was a different thing.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Quite a few brothers are irritated by this, myself included. As others mentioned, it shows how out of touch the COs, DOs, GB, Branches, etc. are. They act like we don't have full time jobs, or families, or personal lives that don't involve them. I look forward to the holiday season for much needed days off. Much needed solitude. You know one thing positive I've always said about being a JW around holiday time is that I don't have to get stressed about shopping, the mall, sales, or dealing with extended family and relatives, or planning some elaborate dinner, etc.. But low and behold, the GB decided to screw that end of our lives up too! The last thing I want to do on my days off, is get dressed up to go to some assembly hall to hear a whole bunch of repetative and dull material. You want to know the part that adds insult to injury, or salt on the wound? A couple months from now, they'll print an article in the KM or Study WT with false quotes along the lines of, "The brothers really appreciated the school provided by the Slave", "As one long time Elder stated, "I feel rejuvenated after feasting on such timely information!""

Those jackasses in NY still can't figure out why brothers aren't reaching out. It's right there in front of them, but they just don't get it. Its a combination of stupidity, ignorance, and arrogance on their part.

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

I remember those Noble!

One thing thou... you could seem them file out of the reception periodically to indulge themselves out of a trunk of one of their cars where they had their private 'stash'!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They definitely do this on purpose. They will say they do this as a convenience to hard-working "brothers" who will have a holiday from work. It also serves to break up the holiday for those men- no mixing with worldly family that weekend or driving the wife and kids to worldly Grandma's house for the long weekend.

The unfortunate cost of travel during the holidays is supposed to be part of a "privilege."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit