Racial question about the annointed aka 144,000...

by Joliette 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joliette
    Joliette

As an African American associate of Jehovah's Witnesses (since the age of 5, actually I remember going to the kingdom hall as young as 3)

I've always wondered WHY most of the annointed were and are white. I know there are a lot of white people on here so why is it that there are

hardly no annointed JW's of other races ? Most minorities have 'an earthly hope?' Any help would be appreciated. Not trying to cause

racial tension, but want an honest answer. Thank you.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

It's not that they are racist so much as the JW's were founded in America and they were products of their time.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, you realize that the WTS teaches all the first century Christians were anointed and those supposedly chosen from 100 to 1879 AD. It's hard to imagine how many were not white let alone "americans". As was said the were the product of the WTS time and founding in the WTS.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Joliette, it's fabulous that you're asking questions like this, since you've probably answered your own question already!!

If the "anointed" were a fair global group they would consist of about one-sixth Chinese, one-sixth Indian and one-sixth African men and women - nothing like the reality of Jehovah's Witnesses or their "annointed" sub-group.

Run baby run, as soon as you realize how bizarre this cult is.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Hey blondie, still trying to follow what you mean. I know about the first century christians were annointed but the WTS teaches this (sorry still doing a lot of research).

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

Just proves the point that 144,000 is most likely not a literal number.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Quillsky:

Yes, I always wondered why most of the so called 144,000 were old elderly white people ( I was born in 1983 so by this time, I'm talking 85 years old and up lol) growing up in a mostly african american congregation. And theres hardly NO ANNOINTED amongst spanish congregations AT ALL. Its seems like latent racism at its best. The witnesses talk about how there so harmonius but the more that I look into things, starting to find out thats not true. A sister that stays down the street from me was playing a talk in her car, and she told me that the brother giving the talk was annointed, and asked her how she knew. Her son, who was in the backseat, said because of the holy spirit, and something other, like that.

Oh well, what do you expect from the rub a dubs?

• Joliette
    Joliette

Nope, not a literally number at all...too many people were born in between Jesus death and now.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

1) The anointed are the "elites" of the congregation.

2) Racism exists.

It's pretty much that simple in my view.

And don't get me going on the dearth of proportionate representation on elder committees, DC/CA speaker agendas, the GB, etc. The WTBTS is like any global conglomerate -- a small, privileged group of white men benefits off the labor of low-income and/or minority worker bees.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Its seems like latent racism at its best.

It's not really racism. At the time, back inthe 30's, most JW's were white, in a time when in social circles black and white americans didn't really fraternize, they had picked the 144000 number. After 50 years of being existence, they were getting close to that many partaking, so they had to say "from here on out you all are just regular JW's, not annointed". It had NOTHING to do with race but more to do with their numbers getting to big to match the doctrine. Fast forward when, in America, at least, fraternization between black and white americans was common, the JW's were spreading into Mexico, China, etc., and hardly any of those people can partake because the number was already sealed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit