Did the WT return to "old light" regarding the "overlapping" concept? Wt 9-1-52

by AndersonsInfo 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover
    Read page 234 in the Reasoning from the Scriptures book, under the heading of Last Days, where it reads:
    "The present wicked system of things, which extends worldwide, entered it's last days in 1914, and some of the generation alive then will also be on hand to witness its complete end in the " great tribulation. "
    to my understanding they still use this book.

The Reasoning book is still current, but that quote is now "old light", replaced several times over by newer publications. I'm surprised that they haven't reissued the book with "updates". It is silly how you can pick one current publication and it contradicts another...

And how is it that the Bible, the supposed basis for all these teachings, hasn't changed in hundreds of years yet the WTS publications (spirit directed, mind you) have a shelf life of about two decades...at most?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Undercover

• wasblind
    wasblind

I met a sister at the store yesterday she claim she's gonna visit

WARNING if she start preachin' tryin' to get some time in i'm

gonna question her about this from this book by them still

using it she should have one on her, when she comes, if she don't

i have mine.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Wasblind - sorry, had a company issue to do for about 30 minutes.

To the Watchtower, saying "the generation of 1914" is no longer the same thing as saying "people alive in 1914" due to the new light in which they redefined the word generation.

That old Watchtower of 1952 plainly said "some people living in 1914".

• Wrong Way
    Wrong Way

You (in english) haven't revised and reissued "Reasoning" book?

We have. (from 2006)

The sentence with "generation 1914" is omitted there.

ENGLISH (current edition)

The present wicked system of things, which extends worldwide, entered its last days in 1914, and some of the generation alive then will also be on hand to witness its complete end in the “great tribulation.”

MY LANGUAGE (new edition, 2006)

The present wicked system of things entered its last days in 1914.
  • undercover
    undercover

I haven't seen the 2006 version. I have a PDF of the 89 version and it mentions some of the generation being alive to witness the end...

Anyone got a PDF version of the 2006 version?

It only makes sense that they changed it since the generation teaching is core to their theology. I wonder though, did they just change it on newer ones released and ever really "recalled" or made an announcement to replace the old ones? What are the odds that anyone (outside of the critics) really noticed. It's not like dubs really use that book in service...

• donuthole
    donuthole

I don't know if the WT was teaching a 33 year generation or a 40 year generation at this time. Either way this may been simply a way to prop up the failed (or failing) teaching in 1952 until they decided to go a different direction. (Teenagers -> children -> babies)

As for the new teaching, it seems that the WT writers are simply drawing from the well of old teachings with a fresh new twist. This is similar to how the previous generation teaching pulled from the 1920's, dusted off, and upgraded.

I don't see though what the justification is to limit this to two overlaps other than to draw up end-time nearness hysteria until the teaching once again needs to be expanded upon.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I'm surprised that they haven't reissued the book with "updates".

The reasoning book dates from 1989 and is still in use. In fact it is used in the Ministry School every week as the basic for one of the student talks. We do not get an annual TMS Schedule anymore, it is printed in the KM each week, though one is posted on the notice board. By November we will be up to page 204 so early next year we should be at P234, no doubt that section will be omitted.

Maybe next year we will get get a soft cover reprint (wide margins for annotations and changes??)

George

• wasblind
    wasblind

JWoods, don't ever leave me that long again

i thought you left me for good ,i was goin' out of

my mind

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thanks wrong way,

I'm gonna hold on to the one that was issued in 89

because active JW's will dispute what you say, whip

out the old literature on 'em and their like a deer in headlights