Let's settle this for once and for all...... is atheism a belief, a non-belief or an anti-belief?

by Quillsky 243 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Jesus wept! Who do you creationist morons think you are telling me I have 'faith' and 'belief'?!

To restate; Atheism is not the belief that there is no god, it is the lack of belief that god does exist. Think about that. If you are unsure as to whether or not god/s exists then you do not have the belief that he/she/it does exist. You lack the positive belief of the theist which thus defines you as atheist.

Is it really so difficult to understand?

• Essan
    Essan

Yep, you did just stray into ad hominem Zid.

I'm not the issue and your guesses and insinuations (way, waaaay off, BTW) about my supposed motives have no bearing on the argument or the issues we're discussing. Stick to debating the issues and not the man.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    ""Atheism" is a word. Words have definitions. They were created for very specific purposes. The definition of Atheism was and is "black and white". ..."

Essan, if I had the time and inclination, I'd go back thru your posts on this thread and pull some of your comments wherein you kept insisting that 'atheism' is a BELIEF system...

Instead, I think I'll go outside and watch the grass grow - er, MOW the grass...

Zid

• Essan
    Essan

Nic said: Is it really so difficult to understand?

It's incredibly easy to understand. just not to accept, because it isn't true. It's a radical redefinition of 'atheist" and an attempt to rewrite the history of a philosophy.

Nic said: Jesus wept! Who do you creationist morons think you are telling me I have 'faith' and 'belief'?!

Why do you assume I'm a creationist?

• Terry
    Terry

It means "No God", or "Without God". It's original meaning was "denial of the Gods". It does not refer to a lack of belief in God, but to a belief in the nonexistence of God or Gods. "Denial" of their existence. An atheist is not agnostic, he has taken a stance against the concept of God and against those who believe in God.

Babies take no stance, they have no belief. Agnostics take no stance, they have no belief. Atheists take a stance - against theism. Therefore babies are not "atheists". You are a zealot Terry. Babies don't share your zeal in attacking Theism. Stop trying to co-opt newborns into your religion! LOL.

Jeepers what a mess!

There are dozens of contrived deifnitions of Atheist and I made mine crystal clear. Your dragging in OTHER definitions has absolutely nothing to do with me or mine. (You know that.)

You use the phrase "lack of belief." That is a pejoratively contrived description.

An honest person doesn't LACK lying. An honest person speaks WITHOUT lying.

A baby does not LACK God. A baby is without belief. Remember?

A baby is A-Theist (A=without Theos=God) without God.

I do not take a stance against God. I take a stance against non-thinking irrational dishonesty pretending to represent a description of God.

Since you have no argument and no ability to present a reasoned defense without blathering the same repetitive strawman I think you have self-identified as the Zealot.

Co-opting infants into a religion which is without God makes about as much sense as your entering a discussion about Atheism without having the bona fides to acknowledge you are out of your depth.

Stop embarassing yourself.

LOL indeed (Losing, Only Losing).

• Essan
    Essan

Yes Zid, atheism is a word, words have definitions and the primary and original definition is "the belief that God doesn't exist". You don't need to "pull anything out" because there's no contradiction.

• Essan
    Essan

Do babies "deny God/s" Terry?

Do you?

• Terry
    Terry

Yes Zid, atheism is a word, words have definitions and the primary and original definition is "the belief that God doesn't exist". You don't need to "pull anything out" because there's no contradiction.

Please learn the proper way to have a debate!

YOU BEGIN by agreeing on the DEFINITION of the terms you are about to argue.

Imposing OTHER definitions is not allowed because there is no meeting of the minds on the original point to be argued.

Now grow up!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Seriously guys, this thread is pointless. I'll define the word for you:

Atheist: A group of sad, self righteous, bitterly angry people that believe they are right and everyone else is wrong.

I've got a good friend that is an atheist and he hates hanging around other atheists because they tend to be angry people. There is an atheist group that meets at a restaurant here every week. They are the strangest bunch of freaks you will ever see. Terry probably belongs to one of those groups. He thinks he knows so much, but all that I read from him is a bunch of angry insults to anyone that disagrees with him.

Now...how 'bout YOU grow up, Terry?

• Terry
    Terry

?θεος=without gods

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit