Is "The Truth" Killing You, Lurkers?

by metatron 22 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

As an elder of many years, I was continually struck with the abundance of chronically ill Witnesses whose disease appeared to be related to their own stress at trying to meet the endless demands of the "truth". I am not a medical professional but I don't need to be a doctor to know that the depression and virtual self loathing ('I'm not good enough, I must do more, I'm a bad parent....") sets a stage for ill health.

And now science backs up that conclusion:

http://www.amazon.com/When-Body-Says-Understanding-Stress-Disease/dp/0471219827

If you are a chronically ill Witness - or know someone who is, I strongly urge you to read this book and take stock of your life _ "When The Body Says No". I can see the harsh demanding mindset of typical Witnesses in nearly every page describing the suffering of emotionally damaged people with arthritis, MS, scleroderma and countless other sicknesses.

Is "The Truth" killing you - it's a fair question.

metatron

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

these "lurkers" can come here and get that stress of their chest.

you can talk to others "feeling it".

talking here is therapeudic and has saved me

talk to us, and we will listen

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

I had noticed what you are talking about for years, even before my realization that it was all a sham. It seemed like some of these "conditions" came and went almost like fashion fads.

I've always been really healthy and had a reasonably high level of energy. However, right before I started admit to myself that there were so many things wrong with the Organization, I started to have strange physical problems. I was so fatigued that some days I was only able to work for two or three hours. My Dr. did what she called a $50,000 work-up and all they could find was that I had acid reflux. I'm pretty sure that this was tied in to the things that were going on in my mind that I had not come to terms with. The symptoms dissappeared right about the time I started looking into things, realizing that it wasn't the truth. Hmmm? Just a coincidence? Maybe...

• moshe
    moshe

I have been out of he JWs for 22 years now- I just turned 60 this year. My stress floated away after I quit going to the KH--- BP was 98/65 when I checked it as the drugstore last week- no medications. I remember how stressed out I used to be trying to prepare for my elder parts/talks in the KH. Good riddance.

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

There is a JW family i have known for years. The son was allowed to be somewhat active with peers during high school - he even did a sport. He is smart, talented, etc. He started college, went for 2 years, and now he is sick with some mysterious ailment, quit college, and almost never leaves the house. He even had a surgery for this ailment, which did not help. Those of us who have known him for years believe he is definitely having anxiety over JW related issues. Older sibling (at least 22) seems nowhere near moving out yet either.

• metatron
    metatron

The other aspect of this I concluded before resigning as an elder was that the New Testament was written by men who expected and looked forward to death by violence at an early age. I'm sorry but that's historically accurate relative to conditions in the Roman Empire generally and martyrdom specifically.

So, it's going to reflect an attitude of daily self sacrifice with little concern for personal health. It's not written by or for having a long, easy life. Deconstruct it as you wish, that was Paul's outlook in particular. The idea of your body saying 'no' is inherent to Jesus example as well.

This outlook can get exhausting - which is why we have Unitarians and Methodists and also Catholics - who show up for Mass in their jeans and windbreakers and then go home to watch football.

metatron

• clarity
    clarity

Metatron....

Won't mention Halls but a young bro committed suicide shortly after I started attending mtgs....big surprise. Looking back thru the years, many young kids (same age as mine) ended up in psych wards, and again at least 3 more suicides! I was in the 'world' in my early life .... funny, never heard of that happening to anyone I knew then!!

Looks like the book titled-

"When the Body says NO", we need to say - "NO, to the Body of Elders! "

clarity

• Heaven
    Heaven

The WTS and JWs are not Christians. If they were, their yoke would be easy and their burden would be light.

Without Physical health, the other human aspects and needs (Emotional, Mental, and Spiritual) will also be in poor health. They all affect each other, however, the physical self is primary. A part of a teacher's education is to recognize and attend to the physical needs of the students if they are to be effective in getting them to learn and to grow. If you are hungry, tired, ill, in pain, or having to go to the washroom your capacity for learning is very low or even non-existent.

When you feed your Emotional, Mental, and Spiritual self with doom and gloom, you are only going to get doom and gloom. And you will be a very ill person throughout life.

What you focus on expands and comes into your life. Switch your focus to positive, creative, and constructive avenues and your life will be much better than 'waiting on Jehovah' to fix all your problems.

• Quando
    Quando

I would say a good 80% at my hall suffer from something or have to rely on multiple antidepressants to keep them "dumbed" down.

I was one of them, I am grateful to be healthy now.

I actually went to the hall today (I haven't made my appearance in a month with all the activities going on) 4 out of 5 people I spoke to had something going on. I just smile and tell them I hope they get feeling better soon, (and think to myself "your sick because this place changes your brainwaves)

I can honestly say that I never got well until I simply forgave everyone, for everyone that "loves" the organization that is their thing, I can't and don't want to change them, I changed myself.

I can't speak for the future but for now I am checked into "Hotel California" maybe one day I can really fall away for good, I certainly keep the schedule I do for my kids sake, I have to protect their precious brains and if they choose to be an elder or pioneer one day it will be their thing.

• cskyjw.sun

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit