Married to the mob... er to a JW, want to talk about it?

by Libelle 25 Replies latest social relationships

• nelly136
    nelly136

since divorce is only allowed in JW eyes when there's been adultery.

not quite. the gist is....

jws can divorce, they're just not 'scripturally free' to remarry unless adultery has occurred or the divorced other half goes off and sleeps with someone later if they havent divorced for adultery.

'spiritual endangerment' (think the term may have changed a bit,) is an approved reason for divorce, but they still cant remarry until the other person has slept with someone else.

of course if thats been updated someone else will chime in and put me right.

• Libelle
    Libelle

jws can divorce, they're just not 'scripturally free' to remarry unless adultery has occurred or the divorced other half goes off and sleeps with someone later if they havent divorced for adultery.

Thanks for the clarification Nelly. The Mr has told me before if we split, he will never remarry (and does not intend to divorce either). So that bothers me... but then I read this bit on another thread

12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Usually in this situation you hear people quote verses 12-14... But then I read 15 and 16, and though I'm not a bible believer, I literally felt relief in those words. Like I could show that to The Mr and finally feel like he'd have biblical confirmation that it's ok...

Of course the NWT's is alittle different:

15 But if the unbelieving one proceeds to depart, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not in servitude under such circumstances, but God has called YOU to peace. 16 For, wife, how do you know but that you will save [your] husband? Or, husband, how do you know but that you will save [your] wife?

But still...

I've just been having a really rough time lately. We are all facade. I think even he thinks we're doing better than we are. I mean sure, I haven't argued with him lately and I can be plenty affectionate or hot and heavy, but my hearts not in it. It's just going through the motions.

• Libelle
    Libelle

Shameless bump.. IOW BTTT

• ziddina
    ziddina

Libelle, which bible translation was this quote from??

" [15] But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; ..."

That is VERY significant!!

Many cultures include a 'tying' of the man and woman's hands or wrists together during the wedding ceremony. I remember seeing [and unfortunately I can't remember the SOURCE...] a Jewish traditional wedding ceremony in which the man and woman's hands [right hands only] were tied together at the wrist with a ? Red Kabbalah ? cord...

That scripture, when properly translated as above, indicates that the DEPARTURE of an unbelieving mate dissolves the marriage union, and sets the 'believing' mate free...

But leave it to the Watchtower Society to mis-translate that to fit their own particularly dysfunctional attitudes towards marriage and sexuality...

" [15] But if the unbelieving one proceeds to depart, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not in servitude under such circumstances..."

EX - CUUUUUUSE ME?? "In SERVITUDE..."?? The Gov.Bod is so focused on keeping their poor little 'sheeples' under 'servitude', that they've got 'servitude' upon the brain...

Which also gives you a glimpse into the way the Watchtower Society views marriage.... As 'Servitude'... No wonder the Watchtower Society views marriage as a competitor for their members' time and efforts...

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oooh, yeah, and I think when Jesus made the comment, "Whomever divorces his wife and marries another, except on the basis of adultery, commits fornication..."

He was talking to the Pharisees...

Which indicates that his words were not directed towards his followers, especially as mentioned later on with the exception of "unbelieving mates"...

The way the Watchtower Gov.Bod tries to hinder and render dysfunctional, the average Witness' life - just infuriates me!!

Zid

• Libelle
    Libelle

Zidd, I'm not sure, I just googled bible, and then looked up the quote. I figured it was a common bible of some sort. I'm very much not up on my bible types... I generally steer clear of all of them. hahaha

I hadn't thought about the significance of the"not bound" statement. Too bad it wasn't in the NWT.

Oh yeah - servitude - that just gives me the willies.

Hmm I didn't know about the comment to the Pharisees. Besides,, isn't alot of what Paul says taken as gospel anyway?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit