Did you ever know any JW's/Pioneers who frequented popular nightspots and got drunk?

by James_Slash 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

It used to make me sick at these hypocrites.

They would be at the meeting the next day or out in field service, obviously still intoxicated from the night before but putting a show on before the congregation.

I knew a couple of girls who would be regulary doing this over a weekend yet they would be pioneers all week, answering up at the meetings yet would be heading into popular nightspots and coming home at 4am drunk. Their Dad was an Elder (surprise, surprise).

I remember telling an Elder about this once. He said that it was up to their Dad to discipline them as it was going on in his house and that it wouldn't be right for other Elders to get involved.

I was always told that "Jehovah would make these things known and deal with them". Nothing was ever done.

10 years on...I am out of the cult and these 'two' parasites are still there, married to JW ministerial servants and have families.

Funny how things turn out isn't it?

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I used to go clubben with a pioneer all the time. Good guy, but he shouldn't been hanging out with me.lol

• steve2
    steve2

Young New Zealand JWs are as skilled at binge drinking and partying as their nonJW peers. Like a lot of young people, they're also skilled at keeping it from their parents.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Its common in Detroit. No big deal, we all went out. I'm not saying we were sloppy drunk, but it wasnt a crime to go out and hear some music and drink some beverages.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I've seen situations such as this, one of which resulted in a pioneer getting temporarily removed. She was regularly getting wasted at a bar in her neighborhood. If not for the fact that it wasn't in a local bar, there's a possibility she may have not been removed. If she was getting wasted at her home, and someone mentioned it to the body, they'd investigate it, but because it's not general public knowledge, they won't act on it, other than maybe mentioned that she needs to consider how her conduct may stumble others. In this case, she was doing it in front of everybody in the bar, so I guess the body's reasoning was the neighbors looked at her like, "she supposed to be a JW, and she drinks like the rest of us."

There's a handful of brothers I know, some elders who I know for a fact are alcoholics. One of which I heard secondhand that worldly relatives of a brother said at some social affair that this elder drank more than the nonJWs. The odd thing is, I believe there's a culture in this organization that sort of condones heavy drinking. Some of it I wonder at times is due to peoples differing tolerances. Some people can do three shots of bourbon and be fine, others do one shot and are ripped. The other thing is drinking is one of the few vices that on the surface seems to be ok by the scriptures. I mean yeah, there's verses stating drunkards won't make it into the kingdom. On the other hand there's verses saying that eating and drinking are the reward for a hard day's work. For some reason drinking is up to anybody's interpretation.

On a side note, this "Brazen" defination may change things come next year. We'll have to see how it plays out.

• undercover
    undercover

When I was right out of high school, I didn't do anything like that. The most we did was have private parties and we'd drink too much.

When I was older, then we ventured out to some night spots but we kept it quiet and didn't advertise what we did. Even still, we didn't become regular bar hoppers, just once in a while. It was cheaper to drink at home and we'd spend the night at who ever's house was hosting the "get-together"...

• Nowman
    Nowman

Geez, I was a regular pioneer, why didnt I hang around anyone like that? I was missing out!

:) Nikki

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Yup, there was a group of us that regularly got shit-faced drunk on the weekends. We'd all show up the next morning for service hung over, all work together get an 'assignment' in some territory and go straight to breakfast and stay there for most of the morning. Good times, best days in service yet!

• minimus
    minimus

I HATED having to give a Sunday talk after clubbing on Saturday nights!

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

of course....i was one of em

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit