Did you ever try any of the awkward, and somewhat creepy suggestions in the KM for Informal Witnessing?

by miseryloveselders 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Even when I was still focused on "pleasing" Jehovah, I still felt quite awkward about a lot of suggestions offered. Besides, they were only suggestions - but some people were so pushy about them.

And I would ask myself why I was being made to do or say something I didn't want to? If I felt uncomfortable and didn't want to do it, leave me the H*&L alone!

If I tried it and still didn't like it, leave me the H%^L alone!

Needless to say, that KM part on informal witnessing this week was a bit disturbing. It was something I rarely did in the past because I found it uncomfortable. And I used to ridicule (to myself) those that were always talking about their religion or Jesus. So why should I do it too?

As I heard that info the other night, I thought about how I will never informal witness again. In fact, it brought me back to the last time I did it, just as I was waking up to the smell of WT BS. I tried to inform a coworker what I believed in because he asked. He thought it sounded ridiculous. I'm glad he was so forward because at that time, deep down inside, I knew I didn't believe it either.

Hey wait a second! That was a positive experience in informal witnessing! It does work.....on me. It helped wake me up!! LOL

CoC

• Scully
    Scully

Creepiest by far are the JWs who scour the obituary column in the newspapers, and send Encouraging™ articles from the magazines to the bereaved relatives, after looking up the family's addresses in the phone book or online.

I never tried any of the creepy suggestions myself. I suppose my parents raised me better than that. My life was creepy enough just being a JW kid in public school.

• clarity
    clarity

miseryloveselders,

That "Approach" thing really feaked me out. Imagine ... you're walking along a road .... a car stops behind you ... a stranger jumps out and hurry's to catch up to you ....screeeeeemmmmm!! Who was the idiot who thought of that!

How's this for an infringement of PRIVACY? Heard this from a "bro" a few weeks ago. Seems when searching for new victims when doing apartments, any who do not answer the Buzzer, will have a didgital picture taken of the directory with their Names and suite number, which will be used to FIND their phone #!

Can you imagine what people going by, or see them from inside, THINK! Sheesh! Or what the poor woman who is hiding out from her abusive exboyfriend would think seeing this going on outside!

Do they ever think for one minute that IF "worldlies" want to read watchtowers .... they can go on the net. Oh silly me, they are forbidden to think!

Anyone else heard about this or using cell phones to track people down? Ugly ugly behavior. Much like stalking ... must be a law!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

We had our ministry school last night and had a demo of the informal witnessing you could do at the doctor's office. I couldn't stop from thinking about kyser soze's comment, "I can't wait for a time when I don't have herpes anymore!" Had to laugh, then got jabbed in the side by my wife.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Never! But I did know a sister who was so ZEALOUS in her preaching, and this in her 80's, who would give out tracts while on an outing at the BEACH...she was unstoppable (and to think we ever thought this was a good thing).

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

Have any of you ever tried these suggestions or similar?

No, never will. It seems a bit false.

• jam
    jam

Informal witnessing on A airplane. That,s creepy. Excuse me sir but what do you think about world

condition?( I guess it,s ok when you compare it to the past ). Well there will be A time, soon I may add

when all problem of the world will be A thing of the past, in God new order.(this is just great, sitting next

too A religious nut, I hope it,s not today we are 2 miles up in the air.) Stewardess can you help me.

• Scully
    Scully

jam:

Informal witnessing on A airplane. That,s creepy. Excuse me sir but what do you think about world condition?( I guess it,s ok when you compare it to the past ). Well there will be A time, soon I may add when all problem of the world will be A thing of the past, in God new order.(this is just great, sitting next too A religious nut, I hope it,s not today we are 2 miles up in the air.) Stewardess can you help me.

I wonder if a JW trying that kind of Informal Witnessing™ nowadays would get their name put on a terrorist watchlist for talking about Armageddon™ and the world being destroyed on an airplane.

• JeffT
    JeffT

While shopping at the market, one shy sister first makes eye contact and offers a friendly smile. Of the person smiles back, she makes a brief comment. If the person responds favorably , this gives her the confidence to converse further. She listens carefully and tries to discern which aspect of the good news would appeal to the person. Using this approach, she has placed much lterature and even started a Bible study.

In case you're wondering were they come up with this, it's straight from this author:

http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=31525

Oh, wait she's talking about dating. Oh well might be the same thing.

(I knew Nita Tucker pretty well, she's the wife of a former employer, both really nice people and they were on hand when I was leaving the borg)

• EmergedAsMe
    EmergedAsMe

Hey JeffT that is hilarious... The inspiration for "presentations" is from a dating book?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit