Did you ever try any of the awkward, and somewhat creepy suggestions in the KM for Informal Witnessing?

by miseryloveselders 39 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

I was on my way out when Phone Witnessing and going to Cemetaries was being pushed............gawd were those the most awful things to get the Witnesses involved in.

• littlebird
    littlebird

I remember them suggesting that when someone says "Im not interested" we were to reply "what exactly are you not interested in?" I tried it, the lady yelled "ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY!" and slammed the door. I didn't use that one again.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    1. While waiting to see the doctor, you may spark a conversation by saying, "I'll be glad when I won't get sick anymore."

I was always more specific about my affliction. I'd say, "I'll be glad when I won't get herpes anymore."

• Room 215
    Room 215

I wonder just how many of these "suggestions" the members of the GB -- or any Bethelites for that matter, personally apply... if they engage in public preaching at all....

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Number 1 is a really weird thing to say. Displaying lit does work. Years ago when I was deep in I had jury duty and had to sit for hours, I spread my Wt & NWT out on the table & studied my lesson. It worked, noone sat at my table or talked to me, which was what I wanted. I knew a sister who would walk through the mall handing out lit & trying to talk to people. I always thought she was a nut.

• compound complex
    compound complex

During 'Nam guyoneers were relatively safe with their 4D classification from SS.

You had to have specific monthly placements - 100 mags, 35 or so back calls (they were not yet dubbed return visits) as well as 7 studies or face potential removal from the pioneer list. Scary. We did lots of door-step studies and couldn't wait to get to the third "back-call" to count it as a legitimate study. Yeah, we did lots of "incidental witnessing" per Kingdom Service (?) directives.

Too much pressure. I knew I was safe once working the Midwest rurals 8 hours a day terminated and I was lovingly embraced by Brooklyn Heights ... There we got our marching orders direct, from the horse's mouth.

CoCo

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The informal witnessing is bad enough, God forbid you are the brother who has that part and has to find the so-called "experiences" from people in the congo....Usually you end up "coaching" the publisher into embellishing their "experience" to make it sound like they just recruited somebody straight into the cult

• Girlie
    Girlie

I used to run into this nutcase sister on the subway heading home during when they used to have book study night. She would always try to engage me in convo about the night's lesson. I mainly wanted her to keep quiet and let me enjoy my ride in peace.

When we get to the book study or at the hall, she would go around bragging about how she and I would informally witness to the folks on the subway. Always saying how she knew they were listening, even if they didn't ask any questions or wanted any lit. Then would say, "We're getting them aren't we, Girlie?" I never co-signed with her on this.

• chickpea
    chickpea

when i was being "pioneer-assisted"
    (may the gods forgive me, all of them)
    i actually DID do a creepy memorial day
    IN THE CEMETARY stalking witnessing
    using that little tract with the kid sitting
    at a headstone.... my pioneer was so
    proud of me.... <stabs self in eye>

PLUS we had a gung ho CO who would
    take groups out in the winter to do the
    D2D amongst the fishing shacks on the ice!!

oh, and yeah, the KH i attended was
    crazy nuts about the phone witnessing....
    we used to do it at least once a month

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

"Articles like this give me some idea as to why nonJWs find JWs to be weird or nuts. I could never see myself doing any of this crazy stuff. Have any of you ever tried these suggestions or similar? Did you have any success? Now that you're not a JW or fading, do you see how crazy these suggestions are?"

It is pretty creepy- I remember doing the bus stop witnessing and talking to a college student about the end being near and about how there has never been a time when it's been so bad all over the world...lol boy was I ever shut down. She was nice enough but I remember her seeming to feel bad for me, I was a dumb teenage kid with no clue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit