snooooowwww

by nelly136 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• nelly136
    nelly136

trex is our equivalent of vegetable shortening i think? lard isnt vegetable but i think its a shortening equivalent cos i've used it for pastry making, and i can get away with using it as a suet substitute for dumplings

• nelly136
    nelly136

when ive looked up whoopie pie recipes they say vegetable shortening so i'm guessing trex is our version

• snowbird
    snowbird

Lard is the rendered fat of hogs; tallow is rendered beef fat.

We once used lard for frying our foods and keeping our elbows, knees, and scalps moisturized.

We used tallow for poultices and expectorants.

Hey, our ancestors were no fools!

Syl

• nelly136
    nelly136

ya thats why i wondered if it would work as well as vegetable stuff

• snowbird
    snowbird

Oldfashioned teacakes.

I mentioned them to Ninja and he sent me some Tunnock's Tea Cakes.

They were nothing like the ones here, but the kids tore into them like there was no tomorrow.

I had to open the package at the post office because the clerk wanted to see them, and she wanted to know who I knew in Scotland!

Needless to say, I had some 'splainin' to do!

LOL.

Syl

• StAnn
    StAnn

I do not use shortening because it is a transfat. (It's also a saturated fat.)

I do use lard instead of shortening because it is a saturated fat but not a transfat. Yes, lard is made from hog fat but it is much better for cooking and baking than shortening. Realize I only go through about two pounds of lard a year.

I also use lard to make soap.

Remember that during WWII people had to save their animal fat and give it to the government to be used in the manufacture of munitions. Shortening was invented as a lard substitute, just as margarine was invented to be a butter substitute. I'm suspicious of foods that aren't natural.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Syl, do you have the recipe for those teacakes? Are they similar to Scottish shortbread, which is one of my favorites?

• nelly136
    nelly136

its cheap but not as popular as it used to be, it used to be quite a staple here, i quite like some old fashioned stuff so ive always got some in my fridge

i dont remember any rubbing it on, but i do remember it in the roasts and after the roast theyd put the juices n fat in a bowl and that became a meal on its own as bread n dripping when the juices turned to jelly and the fat went solid on top.

gravy was made with melted lard and flour and used as a thickener for meat stock

• nelly136
  • snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/868/

Take your pick.

They are softer than shortbread.

i dont remember any rubbing it on, but i do remember it in the roasts and after the roast theyd put the juices n fat in a bowl and that became a meal on its own as bread n dripping when the juices turned to jelly and the fat went solid on top.

LOL.

Heat it up, melt the fat, and pour it over cornbread.

Yum-yum.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit