Interesting quote on leadership - what do you think re: the Governing Body?

by sir82 28 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    As parents, if we give our children too many reminders, restrictions, etc., they eventually stop listening to anything we have to .

say.

Syl

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I believe governing body is used as both a description and a name, by the Watchtower, probably more often than not as a name.

More than just a name. It is a "god-given title of prominence" that they have applied to themselves. Pretty shameless self-pride when you have no proof of position other than your own self deception.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

St. George, I like your point. Very true. Even if the Holy Spirit is 'only' God's force, it is a hell of a lot more IMPORTANT than the gb or the fds or the society or the corp. They need to humbly acknowledge that fact, which of course, they will never do. Shameless NeoPharisees!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I doubt we'll see any humility from the gov body hence the capitals...

Loz x

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

... by the way, I agree with the sentiments posted, I was merely defending the use or non use of capitals as I understand it (grammar was never a strong point for me but I try)

• booby
    booby

Governing Body is a name and hence is capitalized because the Governing Body and Wannabefree says so. This notion is supported by god and his holy spirit.

• onemore
    onemore

They posture authority because they know that, biblically speaking, they have none.

P.S.

I once asked my wife, what will make you leave the organization? She responded, “I would “consider” leaving the org. if I see that the Governing Body I demanding more obedience and submission to their leadership”. They are doing just that more and more, she sees it now, and the GB is actually helping me to leave the organization with my wife. So, I hope they keep going obedience crazy in the next few months and years.

I think the turning point for her was that WT study about not embracing your mate during prayer, and the new songs….that did it.

• Sola Scriptura
    Sola Scriptura

sir82 said:

Yet the people are not obedient (if they were, would they need so many reminders?).

snowbird said:

No, they're not effective.

onemore said:

I once asked my wife, what will make you leave the organization? She responded, “I would “consider” leaving the org. if I see that the Governing Body I demanding more obedience and submission to their leadership”.

So why do many on this board consider JWs a "Destructive Cult" instead of a "New Religious Movement"?

Effective Leadership & consistent Blind Obedience are the main ingredients for "Destructive Cults".
    Most Elders here, know only to well, that the "avg" JW is far from being consistently obedient.

JWs started and continue to be a "New Religious Movement" of "Apostates" from other religions and their children. The GB will never completely control us, no matter how it looks to outsiders.

So my answer to the original question of:
    What do you think of the GB's leadership abilities? Are they "effective"?

I believe their collective leadership is both adequate and effective for keeping a multi-racial, multi-cultural 7 million plus worldwide membership going strong. I believe they can do much better! But it's easier for me to be a critic than to walk a mile in their shoes.
    ---
    Sola Scriptura

‘Is it not an exaggeration to say that all of
    us are in danger of being deceived with regard
    to our religious beliefs?’
    -THE WATCHTOWER ? SEPTEMBER 1, 2010 page 11

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

So why do many on this board consider JWs a "Destructive Cult" instead of a "New Religious Movement"?

My reply: Because, while being relatively new...they are a destructive cult. I guess though that they seem a bit older than they are due to having made so many false prophecies. They do lead the league in that.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe the disfellowshipping/shunning and no-whole-blood transfusions policies are what characterize JW's as a destructive cult.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit