Interesting quote on leadership - what do you think re: the Governing Body?

by sir82 28 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Today I read a newspaper columnist who wrote something that caught my attention:

"...obedience is a natural response to effective leadership, and this is true regardless of whether the people being led are adults or children."

Now, think about the GB.

Virtually every WT "study edition" contains at least one, if not several, reminders about how we should "obey the GB".

Dozens of the songs in the new song book extol how worthy of obedience & devotion the GB is.

Each assembly & convention features dozens of reminders on how important it is to be obedient & submissive to the GB.

Service meeting parts routinely offer "loving reminders" of how JWs should obey the GB re: conventions, literature, donations, etc.

They crave obedience, demand obedience, insult and besmirch those who are not obedient, and threaten (thru threats of "Jehovah's gonna get you") those who disobey.

Yet the people are not obedient (if they were, would they need so many reminders?).

If the GB were effective leaders, would they need to browbeat the sheep, hundreds of times throughout the year, year after year, in print, talks, songs, and prayers, to "obey us"?

How about y'all? What do you think of the GB's leadership abilities? Are they "effective"?

• dissed
    dissed

As someone who left in the mid 1990's I find this concept very odd. Its never been so clearly defined in this way. I can't help but think that people from my era, that are still in, are not very troubled by this version of the GB.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Jehovah God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit have now been replaced by the GB.

It's interesting to note that Holy Spirit NEVER uses upper case H & S, it's always holy spirit, but the GB ALWAYS has u/c G & B, Governing Body; it's just a matter of importance.

George

• JWoods
    JWoods
    As someone who left in the mid 1990's I find this concept very odd. Its never been so clearly defined in this way. I can't help but think that people from my era, that are still in, are not very troubled by this version of the GB.

Probably nobody from today's JW world could even believe that the whole Governing Body concept (developed in the 1970s) was sold at the time as a relaxation of the ultimate authority of the WT heirarchy. For example, for a time they did away with a permanent congregation servant - the elders rotated through the positions year by year. The circuit overseer was termed to be practically just another elder in a different position - but just there as a special advisor. The governing body itself was presented as a harmonious sharing of authority, making the society less dictatorial. And look at them now - just like the Cardinals and Pope of the Roman Catholic Church that they hate so much.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

The governing body itself was presented as a harmonious sharing of authority, making the society less dictatorial. And look at them now - just like the Cardinals and Pope of the Roman Catholic Church that they hate so much. I made the mistake of comparing the GB to clergy in other religions to my mom. After she heard what I said, her eyes had a look of befuddlement, and then her voice raised to the point where I asked her, "why are you yelling?" She's like, "I'm not yelling!" I'm sure plenty of people see this trend of worshiping the GB as disturbing. Its evidenced by all the newbies here as of late. I never thought I see the day I'd be singing about the Faithful Slave at the meeting LOL.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    How about y'all? What do you think of the GB's leadership abilities? Are they "effective"?

No, they're not effective.

As parents, if we give our children too many reminders, restrictions, etc., they eventually stop listening to anything we have to .

I think this is what is happening with the GB.

Syl

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I think this is what is happening with the GB.

Syvia is right. Look at the Catholics - how many actually slavishly obey anything the Pope says? Some - but there are many who practice birth control, take political positions in favor of abortion choice, and pretty much go about their lives just as they please.

I think the current witnesses are becoming like this - pretty much apathetic to all the obedience screaming and just going along with it socially out of the force of habit.

Evidence? Look at the lack of retaining their own young people, the dropping hours in service (15 minutes now makes you regular as a preacher), the huge number being disfellowshipped every year...

The Governing Body and the other rulerships are slowly squeezing the life out of their own religion with this obsession over total control.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

St George ... to Jehovah's Witnesses, holy spirit isn't God, it is Jehovah's active force, the power he sends forth to accomplish his will, therefore, it is not a proper name and is not capitalized. Example: the General Electric Power Company (proper name) sends out it's electricity (not a name) to all. Governing Body on the other hand is a name.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I disagree Wannabefree - governing body isnt a 'proper' noun or name its just a description of a group of men but they've capitalized it as if it has more importance than the holy spirit like StGeorge says....just my opinion of course...

Loz x

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I believe governing body is used as both a description and a name, by the Watchtower, probably more often than not as a name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit