How do I tell my elderly JW mother that...?

by onemore 13 Replies latest jw friends

• onemore
    onemore

Thank you all for your kind responses.

I’m inclined towards suggesting to my wife to leave her mother alone and step in only if she’s being really hurt by the WT’s policies; but that at one point we will have to address with her our “inactivity” and disillusion with the organization. The downside to this is that she’ll represent the only thing fully attaching my wife and I to the WT organization, and it looks like she is going to be around for another 20 to 30 years… (And I really want to move on and don’t plan to live a lie or in hiding for that long).

The WT has done at great job at creating a system that virtually makes impossible to leave the organization without some serious collateral damage. Just as I was making progress in leaving together with my wife and basically achieving a clean fade (which has taken a lot of energy from me)…this new development comes along. I’m trying to see it as a small set back (so that I don’t lose my focus), which gives me more reasons to really really hate the culture of this abusive cultish religion.

Again, thank you all for all your good comments and suggestion, once again you are being of great help in this journey.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

let her die happy in her delusional ideas. The terror aN ELDERLY JW must feel dying after losing faith, but nothing to hold onto is a horrifying thing.

Live your own lives in such a way that she cannot legitimately find fault.

You have to find a boundary for the cult babblings, so she knows when to shut up about it.

There are many things you are under no obligation to share with her - that includes what you think of the goddam cult.

HB

• I quit!
    I quit!

If someone wants to remain a JW that is their business however I don't see any problem with someone pointing out why they are no longer in the Watchtower. They may not want to listen. At that point you should back off and not try to force them to see that the WT is a scam. We all get out on our own time anyway if we do get out. One of the problems with not saying something is they may be having doubts already and you may be missing a changed to help them escape. Another problem with just leaving it alone is they aren't just harming themselves. They are still peddling the poison around the neighborhood so I think it is worth a try to get them to stop.

• cantleave
    cantleave

My mum is 73 and an absolute diehard. I haven't told her anything and because she lives in India (and I live in the UK), I don't need to.

Nugget has told her mother who is obviously uncomfortable with the situation but has demonstrated that she is willing to accept that the society may be wrong, but she won't leave because she still believes that god will in his own time right any wrongs.

If you do decide to try and plant seeds of doubt in you MIL mind, remember it may backfire. Not everyone will be open to listen to cristicisms. I know that mother will not accept any negative comments about "Jehovah's Organisation".

Whatever approach you take, I wish you the very best of luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit