Have you stopped pushing yourself physically and mentally?

by compound complex 27 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear recovering friends,

Lady Lee's thread on health issues and disabilities prompts this thread. Removed now from theocratic pursuits and 'pouring yourself out like a drink offering' at all costs, are you tending to your mental and physical health realistically and without feeling guilt?

Thanks,

CoCo

• wasblind
    wasblind

Yes, when i started studying with the JW's, i was already on one blood pressure pill

as i got into full swing, i had to be put on another along with that, after i left, about

6 or 7 months later i was back on one single prescription. I know now that

the stress of being told constantly that i was not doing enough, and being made to

feel guilty if i missed a meeting due to illness, they would say the same old thing, such and such

is worse off and she made it to the meeting. Just the stress from all that crap was killing me.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yes CC - I totally relaxed my internal pace. I was always so anxious and going nowhere fast! I finally woke up and realize more and more that my life is MINE!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, wasblind abd cult classic, for responding.

Good for you! I'm able to relate absolutely to your words. I can sit and do nothing and be calm and not feel guilty - well, almost!

Takes "making the mind over" to a whole new level. One that benefits the person, not the organization.

Gratefully,

CoCo

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Somehow, Coco, I just cannot envision you actually sitting down and doing nothing. You would have to have a pen or paintbrush in your hand! And even if you do sit down in a quiet place, I think your mind would still be going a mile a minute. Am I right?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, Cameo. Sad but true.

I can sit doing nothing for 5 minutes. Ten tops. It's difficult. But my physical stamina is progressively diminishing, and I need to take stock and conserve energy for all those important things that remain undone.

I appreciate your asking and putting it so presciently.

CoCo

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I have, but not for post leaving the WT reasons or health or that matter

I just decided about 4 years ago that there was no way i was going to get ahead, buy a house etc.

I decided to start my own business after working 40 hours a week was not making enough to get by on an leave anything left for fun. I found i could make a good income on 3 days a week work. I could make more, i just don't want to. Not only do i want my 4 day weekends for more important stuff, i resent having to give more to the tax man if i do.

If i cant be bothered working on any given day or just feel slack half way thru a day, i can stop and do it another day.

When i met my wife, we find we have the same attitude... neither of us are interested in hopping on the mouse wheel like so many others already are and busting ourselves for material gain and to serve the system like worker ants. We have just bought a cheap country house, that will cost no more than out current rent and not require us to work more either.

I stopped pushing myself because life is to short to spend doing things you dont want to do.

oz

• compound complex
    compound complex

Well put, Aussie Oz! What you say makes perfect sense.

I was all set to buy a block 10 years ago on the Gold Coast, NSW, but didn't follow through. Just as well.

I hadn't counted on getting older and tireder and poorer.

Who'd have thought ...

Thanks much, mate!

CoCo

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I'm presently working on eliminating stress, but it probably won't happen overnight. Also, trying to make life simpler and discarding a lot of accumulated junk, taking time to read and write a little, and drinking a cup of coffee with the paper each morning, something I enjoy.

Outaervice

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

@CoCo... right now i am really thankful the purchase of the block fell through. I initialy felt that this was the only way to gain financial independance for retirement. I wasn't really looking forward to a 10 year slog building a house and everything though. We just bought the cheap country property and there will be a world of difference between building and tarting up an old place!

@outaservice...That is a great way to get change going! One key thing i did was divest myself of any debt. It meant selling my dream car i restored but boy, cutting back really was worth it.

enjoy that coffee!

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit