Pigs R Us?

by StAnn 15 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

I'm going to start on the South Beach Diet~the day after Labor Day. (I'd do it sooner but I really want to eat some potato salad on Labor Day!) Anybody want to join me? We can give each other some support and encouragement.

What do you think?

• beksbks
    beksbks

I'm up 15 since my knee surgery, that was about 4 years ago. How long can I use that one?? And I will be hitting a landmark in Oct. I'd certainly like to drop most of it by then. But I can't abide your title. And I have to focus on exercise, my diet is pretty good. But if we do a general how much did you lose this week sort of thing, I could definitely go for that. I need an ass kicking right now.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Geez, I thought the title was really clever!

I'd be glad to do a "how much did you lose this week" post along with any particularly good recipes, advice, etc. Also a "did you exercise today?" post to encourage exercise.

Let's see if anybody else is interested, too.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I bought Dr Oz's recommended book by Dean Ornish, M.D. book. It promotes gaining health and losing weight by eating healthier. I just started reading it but it sounds promising.

I don't know if anyone else watches the Dr Oz show but I find it fascinating and informative.

My daughter on the other hand swears by that "Three's company gal" Suzanne Somers.

Is the south beach diet solely getting their frozen dinners and eating them?

I looked at the nutritional contents of some of those "Healthy" TV dinners and was shocked at the ingredients, the fat content and sugar and sodium was off the charts, and yet they push the "Low" calories of 500 or more. The fat calories are often 100 calories from fat..which is rediculous.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I looked up the "South Beach diet" and Dr Ornish's diet. The South Beach says it is a "Alternative" to the Ornish diet ?.

I do know that the Dr Ornish guidelines restrict the amount of fat calories you take in to 25 to 30 calories from fat in a serving. This is a very healthy amount to go by. I looked up the nutrition label of a South Beach dinner (Santa Fe dinner) and it had a whopping 108 calories from fat in it and 750 sodium I can not see where this is in any way healthy.

They also warn about the "First week" of the south beach diet which can mess up your electrolytes.

I got a menu guideline from a cardiologist once that made more sense to me than any diet. It limited you starch servings per day, said make a serving no larger that the palm of your hand , don't overdo on fruits as they contain "sugar" and only choose lean meats the size of the palm of your hand.
    A lot of it went along with the weight watchers ideas..it limited your starches and you were able to make exchanges in the diet. For example you could have 3 starches a day. You could have cereal in the Am = 1 then a potato for dinner but that only left one starch so you could only have one piece of bread if you wanted a sandwich at lunch, if you wanted popcorn later you had to give up the sandwich and have something else that had no starch item.

I think if you really get into the nutrional readings of the foods you eat it may an dwatch your portions it will be OK but I am still going to read my "The Spectrum" by Dean Ornish M.D. We can compare later..

Snoozy

I wonder if Dr Ornish has a healthy lowfat recipe for Potato salad?

• StAnn
    StAnn

Snoozy, I don't know anything about the South Beach Diet frozen foods line. I've got the book and it has recipes, all real foods. It's limiting bad carbs, bad fats. That kind of thing.

In general, I can never eat frozen dinners because they all have soy in them and I'm allergic to soy.

Dean Ornish's diet is very good but extremely difficult to follow, hence a lot of people can't stick to it. South Beach is easier to stick to long term.

• JeffT
    JeffT

When I quit drinking I didn't loose a lot of weight, but it moved around a bunch. Does that count?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

St Ann, I agree on the easy part, some of those recipes are unusual..use things I am not used to. I like the eat what you want diet but just limit your portions and excercise more..

Snoozy

• beksbks
    beksbks

Well Ann? You gonna show your stuff?

I was thinking Voluptuous Vixens Lookin' to Lose. Or Sumptuous Sweeties Seek Slenderizing. You know, something that actually reflects US.

• wobble
    wobble

Oink Oink !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit