Russia in COLOR, circa 1910

by compound complex 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Some of them may be hand tinted, rather than using different filters. The second picture, for example.

None of these pictures are hand tinted.

Which photo looks tinted to you?

All the Prokudin-Gorskii images are taken with a special camera he invented.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Thanks so much to both of you for such interesting pictures from the past...fascinating!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is a fascinating comparison.

The Church of the Resurrection in Kostroma, 1910:

And here is the same view, in 2009:

Look at what a century's change has done. All those nice paintings and murals are gone, and the church has been added to.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Stunning....

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    And here is the same view, in 2009:

Actually, the view looks like it is 90 degrees different. Look at how the crosses on the tops of the highest domes face. If you reorient...the church may not have been added to. What a shame regarding those beautiful murals. I'll bet the Communists had them removed.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Which photo looks tinted to you?

Look at the second one, of the photographer, next to a river. I don't see that polychromatic distortion around any edges, including the running water.

BTS

• compound complex
    compound complex

for Syl and others who may've missed this ...

• St George of England
    St George of England

Fantastic sets of photos.

The problem of movement such as in those pictures with water, caused by taking photos in (rapid) sucession was solved in the late 1920's I believe by taking three photograhs at the same time, via mirrors and filters or prisms and filters (cannot remember which) in the Hillman Colour Camera. In the mid 1960's a friend of mine had a half plate version in perfect condition. I have never seen one since.

George

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

awesome

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

WOW!

you guys take my breathe away.

I am fascinated with Russia and those pictures. I love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit