Russia in COLOR, circa 1910

by compound complex 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you very much, Leolaia!

They're beautiful. You said you recall these photos becoming available in 2001. Are your photos related in any way to those I put up? Do you have a link for any background information?

Anything you might offer would be appreciated!

CoCo

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Your photos are those from Sergei Prokudin-Gorskii and he used a very different color process (shooting in B/W with colored filters) than the one in these other photos (which are all autochromes), but it yields much better colors as there are no pigments that fade. Yeah I downloaded all the Prokudin-Gorskii photos in 2001 and associated info. I can post more of his photos in this thread if you'd like. Many are simply amazing. Now if the subject moves, then you can see a four-color halo because he had to take four exposures to produce the color. But for static scenes, the colors are amazing.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The curious thing i find about early photographs is the smiles have a different quality to those of post WWII pictures.

Those are fab Leo. I feel melancholy too.

HB

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks again, Hamsterbait and Leolaia.

Yes, that would be great, Leolaia. We seem to be getting quite a few hits!

At your convenience.

CoCo

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Take me up (carefully; as if I were a toy) and play carefully with me, once or twice, before I and you go suddenly all limp and foolish. Once or twice before you go into great Jack roses and ivory - ( once or twice Boy before we together go wonderfully down into the Big Dirt laughing, bumped with the last darkness).

These pictures bring home almost savagely the awareness of my own mortality.

"Remember Phlebas the phoenician."

HB

i took some pictures of an ent. How do i get a picture from my folder into a post?

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

I think these are great, especially the ones from WW1 of the soldiers. I was only thinking today that I remember everything from my past in colour and then thinking how whilst I think of everything pre 1945 as grey actually the colours would have been just as vivid. I think the colour photos really make you empathise with the people in a way that B&W photos don't (although B&W can be a very powerful medium)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Your photos are those from Sergei Prokudin-Gorskii and he used a very different color process (shooting in B/W with colored filters) than the one in these other photos

Some of them may be hand tinted, rather than using different filters. The second picture, for example.

BTS

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

More old Russia pics:

Cotton textile mill interior with machines producing cotton thread, probably in Tashkent (between 1905-1915).

Joining shop for the production of scabbards at the Zlatoust plant, 1910.

Peasant in the Ukraine, between 1905 and 1910.

In the Borodino museum, 1911.

Night camp by a rock on the bank of the Chusovaia River, 1912.

Boy standing by wooden gatepost, 1910.

It's like you're there!

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Fantastic :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit