Has anyone read the book of mormom and compared to bible?

by EndofMysteries 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TD
    TD

A couple more comparisons:

And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen. (Moroni 10:34)

Okay, everyone familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses is at least partially familiar with how the name, "Jehovah" gradually evolved from the Tetragrammaton and how the trisyllabic pronunciation and the 'J' sound came about during the process.

If the Book of Mormon truly is what it purports to be, then that entire process would have been bypassed completely and we would have had an unprecedented opportunity to know the exact pronunciation of the Divine name in Hebrew from an original document.

But behold, thus saith the Lord God: When the day cometh that they shall believe in me, that I am Christ, then have I covenanted with their fathers that they shall be restored in the flesh, upon the earth, unto the lands of their inheritance. (2 Nephi 10:7)

"Christ" is an NT Greek word directly transliterated into English, (Χριστος Christos) and would have been completely unknown to the characters in the Book of Mormon who didn't speak Greek and certainly didn't speak English. Again, there should be ZERO Greek influence in the Book of Mormon.

"And I, Jacob, saw that I must soon go down to my grave; wherefore, I said unto my son Enos: Take these plates. And I told him the things which my brother Nephi had commanded me, and he promised obedience unto the commands. And I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu." (Jacob 7:27)

--An even more serious anachronism (If that is possible) than the presence of NT Greek words in the Book of Mormon. "Adieu" is Old French derived from the Latin phrase, a dieu --I commend [you] to God.

And even if you overlook the possible motivations for dressing up the Book of Mormon in 17th century English, the author doesn't seem to understand the proper use of personal pronouns in the King James version. Here are two among hundreds of examples:

And now Zoram, I speak unto you: Behold, thou art the servant of Laban.....(2 Nephi 1:30)

--Formal and Informal forms used interchangeably. Correct grammar would be, "...I speak unto thee:"

Wherefore, if ye shall keep the commandments of the Lord, the Lord hath consecrated this land for the security of thy seed with the seed of my son. (2 Nephi 1:32)

--Shift between Plural and Singular forms in the same sentence. Ye/Your and Thou/Thy are correct combinations. Ye/Thy together is ungrammatical. Since the statement is directed at a single individual (Zoram) correct grammar would be "...if thou shalt keep the commandments..."

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

You might want to check out The Sceptics Annotated Bible - it also includes analysis of the Book or Mormon and the Koran. From the bits of it I have read, it looks like someone barely literate tried to write 'Bible 2 - The Sequel'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit