My first "disagreement" with standard JW thinking

by TTATT_Paladin 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• william draper
    william draper
    I agree the names of the week , and related things would change .
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Topics like this show just how simple it is for the "House of Cards" to come crashing down with just a little thought.....
  • Half banana
    Half banana

You could ask the JW who thinks that they will go back to speaking ancient Hebrew; will they also restore the original bovine headed idol Yahweh, his consort Ashera and the Canaanite pantheon as well?

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Half Banana,

You bring up an interesting topic for research. Where can I read more on Ashera and the pantheon as well as the connection between the Hebrew religion and the Canaanite religion? Thanks.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

And WHY does the org feel that Hebrew is the language we will revert to, when the Jews were cast off as gods people, and killed Jesus??

Bit hypocritical right??

• millie210
    millie210

You all are pretty deep compared to mine.

My first issue was over a pinata.

Laugh if you will! :eyes:

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    My first issue was over a pinata.

Sometimes it is the little things that push you over the edge. Jehovah's Witnesses are taught to fear disappearing God so much that they sometimes even go beyond the many restrictive rules that they are given. At some point you just start to wonder why God would care if you had a pinata, or said "bless you" when some sneezed, or shared a toast or wished someone luck. And even if you didn't have a problem with some of those things, you had to fear the judgement of other JWs who liked to knit pick. Why would God care? As a supposedly Christian religion, what was the point of Christ's death and doing away with the law if engaging in simple social pleasantries would result in death at Armageddon?

• millie210
    millie210

Thanks Lisa, that is very kind and insightful of you to say.

So what if a pinata is used in Mexico at Christmas? It wasnt Christmas and none of us were in Mexico!

It was more than that though...as you mentioned above it was the unkind judgemental narrow hall way thinking style that was most distasteful.

I still had the pinata - the disapprovers left the party.

It all seems laughable and of so little importance now.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I gave a party with another sister for our little girls. We both wanted a piñata but she was nervous about offending people. She ended up getting a piñata like castle with strings you pull, the special string when pulled opened the door that released the candy. Which was ok with people, as long as a stick wasn't involved! It just makes me reflect how silly it all was.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

And WHY does the org feel that Hebrew is the language we will revert to, when the Jews were cast off as gods people, and killed Jesus??

Bit hypocritical right??

The logic is that the Israelites came from a line that want involved with building the tower of bable, so they'd never had their language confused. From this they assume that the ancient Hebrew that they spoke was the language that Adam and Eve spoke. Since it's "evidently" the original language, it seems logical to conclude that we'll be restored to speaking ancient Hebrew once we're raised to perfection.

Never mind the fact that we know that languages evolve over time - which is why we don't still speak old English. Also never mind the fact that there's a boatload of evidence of many languages that predated Hebrew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit