My first "disagreement" with standard JW thinking

by TTATT_Paladin 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TTATT_Paladin
    TTATT_Paladin

About two years after I was baptized, I had this incident. I looked at it as an isolated incident at the time, but now realize it would have had basically the same result with 99.99% of any JWs not members here.

I will keep it short. I was talking with a person who was raised in the religion. We were talking about how the Society said not to speculate on what would happen after Armageddon. I said that one thing I know would happen, is that we would rename some of the days of the week, if not all of them. (referring to Tiw's Day, Wodin's Day, Thor's Day, and Frey's Day)

"You don't know that. We have to wait and see."

"No, I do know that I won't be using anything pagan. It doesn't make any sense to have pagan things. It is only logical."

If only the argument was actually bigger. I would have saved about seven years of JW-active-mode time, and immeasurable emotional turmoil if that would have blown up into other things that demanded opposite thinking.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    That jw wasn't up on the doctrine (though neither were you) because the official doctrine is that people will speak ancient Hebrew in the new system.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Speaking ancient hebrew after armagedon! LOL. The more you think about the jw beliefs the crazier they seem. I'll give the dubs credit for thinking crap like this up. LOL
  • Terry
    Terry

http://www.scribd.com/doc/222382341/1935-Calendar-of-Jehovah-God#scribd

The Calendar of Jehovah God

1935 saw the brief attempt by Jehovah's Witnesses to jettison the Gregorian Calendar and substitute a new one which the Golden Age magazine called "the Calendar of Jehovah God."

The 1935 Yearbook published an advance copy of the new Calendar and it was mentioned in the March 1, 1935 Watchtower. The series appeared in 3 Golden Age issues in March and April. Apparently, Rutherford's support waned and a warning article on the calendar appeared in the May 1, 1935 Watchtower. Apparently, there are no further references to the new calendar in later publications. It has never been discussed in modern JW history books.

From page 68 of the Yearbook 1935

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Terry the witnesses are not logical people. The same elders that whole heartedly believe things like the overlapping generation nonsense would recoil with a look of curious astonisment if you told them that , there is just a slight chance that the theory of evolution makes some sense to me.
  • TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

In the new system, there will be no more wedding rings. Wedding rings are 100% a pagan tradition not worthy of making the jump to the paradise on earth after God kills everyone else who's not JW.

NO PAGANISM ALLOWED

• TTATT_Paladin
    TTATT_Paladin

I told a friend that weddings in our country (USA) that have anything but two people standing before an official trading promises have pagan things in them. Rings, honeymoons, etc. People crack me up thinking they are doing something by not having people throw rice, when 99% of the rest of their wedding has pagan elements.

#gnat_camel

(It's not that the pagan things are necessarily bad, it is a matter of consistency. Why are some pagan things allowed, but not others?)

• Terry
    Terry

The etymology of the word Pagan is revealing.

It meant 'country bumpkin' or somebody living outside the city. A "hick," as seen by those sophisticated inside the city walls, was an object of bullying and contempt.

Middle English, from Late Latin paganus, from Latin, civilian, country dweller, from pagus country district.

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

So it will most likely go back to just the seasons of Seedtime and harvest which are divided into 3 equal seasons of 4 months or divide seedtime and harvest by 2 by which the planting would be longer than the harvest. The research is there to compare. This is why the bible doesn’t use the year to mark an event. To God, time is irrelevant, and certainly nothing to argue about.

The alternative would be 4 seasons divided by 3:

Tishri (October)
    Tevet (January)
    Nissan (April)
    Tammuz (July)

In Israel the yearly cycle with its four seasons are not as clearly marked as the lands to the north of it. To ancient Israel, every season was a special time and a reminder of the promises of God, as He said to Noah "seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter" (Genesis 8: 22). Though the Bible specifically mentions summer, winter, spring and autumn, it may come as a surprise to know that the Bible never mentions four seasons, but only two. The Hebrew word "stav", translated today as autumn, is mentioned only once in the Bible in the Song of Solomon: "for lo, the winter is passed, the rain is over and gone..." (Song 2:11), "stav" really speaks of the time of the winter rains. The Hebrew word "Aviv", translated today as spring is mentioned twice in the Bible, both referring to a stage in the ripening of barley rather than a season. The month of Aviv (hodesh ha'aviv) is the time when this ripening of barley takes place, this is of course the Hebrew month of Nissan. There is no mention of a season called spring anywhere in the Bible. Therefore we must conclude that the Bible only recognizes two seasons, summer and winter, or as the writers of the Talmud put it, "the days of sun" and "the days of rain."

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    My first was that God was a loving God. I always had problems with things in the Bible that didn't seam loving. The big one was this idea that God would hand over mankind to his enemy Satan and then disappear for over 2000 years and all the while as we the people are being tortured by Satan were supposed to be thinking how much we love this God that abandoned us because some ancient ancestor sinned. I realized I have more love in my little toe then this God had in his total being.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit