Why I Disagree With Affirmative Action

by snowbird 45 Replies latest social current

• wasblind
    wasblind

Yes snowbird i agree ,

The down side of affirmative action is it does not encourage minorites to put their best foot forward and actually earn their keep.

I think it's up to every responsible parent to teach the children to earn their keep, not to be a token .

• snowbird
    snowbird

The dean at my daughter's university said my daughter's grades are the first he looks for when he gets the grade report.

We have high expectations for her.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, WasBlind.

Tee hee hee.

Syl

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

While I acknowledge the good that affirmative action has done, QL, I've also been a witness to its downside.

Let me explain: I was once sitting for an examination for a State job, and I overheard a conversation between two other ladies who were also taking the exam.

One commented on how difficult the exam was; the other somewhat flippantly replied that it was ok if they didn't do their best because the State of Alabama is an affirmative action employer. In other words, why sweat it? We're going to be considered anyway, despite whatever score we make.

My heart sank somewhere near my toes. I was so disappointed in them. During the break, I called them on their remarks. They looked at me like I was crazy! At home and at school, I'd always been taught to do my best and not expect any favors - I simply couldn't fathom their nonchalance. I confess, that experience left a sour taste in my mouth.

It left me wondering how many others felt the same way as those two ladies.

Syl

who got the job?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey Mrs. jones how ya doin'

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

So let's say you get a position just because you are (insert hyphen here.)

You know for a fact that someone better than you was excluded because they were not (insert hyphen here.)

Tell me, what does this do for your self-respect? Your dignity?

For me, I know what the answer is.

Affirmative action has some corrosive effects on a person's character.

On the other side, with those that get excluded, it breeds resentment and contempt.

This is not a good long term strategy.

BTS

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Doing good. The last three kids start school on tuesday. I'm so happy! I need a vacation!

• journey-on
    journey-on

It's called bread of shame, Burns. It's a tool the politicians, especially Democrats, use to keep people down and feeling inferior. Perhaps their intention was honorable (I doubt it though), but in the larger picture, it accomplishes just the opposite.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    who got the job?

I was #1 on the hiring list ...

Tee hee hee.

Syl

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

burn, sometimes the best person for the job is the one who had the best opportunities in life and thats not fair. This is the plus side of affirmative action.

I agree with you Mrs Jones - but this reflects the difference in the way your employer viewed you as he no doubt employed you on your suitability and merits for the job whereas your colleagues viewed you in a negative light based on their assumptions regarding affirmative action. But as it becomes/became more common to see minorites in highly qulaified jobs being successful,surely, then negative biases have lessened

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit