Please help me publish my book on the JW organisation.

by TheEndIsNigh 15 Replies latest jw friends

• TheEndIsNigh
    TheEndIsNigh

Please could you help me? My book, “The End is Nigh...Again (But this time we really mean it) is now finished and available to read. It’s a tongue in cheek, real life saga about the life of a second generation Jehovah’s Witness that pokes fun at the organisation that to this day continues to completely screw up the lives of many decent people.

I have uploaded the entire manuscript to a site called Slush Pile Reader. It's designed to help up and coming writers to get published. You could really help me by registering at the site and then voting for my book. Of course, it's there for you to read too. What happens is that the book with the most votes gets published automatically.

It would be fabulous if you could take the time out to visit the site, vote for The End is Nigh...Again and help me further expose this religion for what it really is. Yes, it's time to fling open the doors of the Watchour Trifle and Cracked Society and let the world see that it's really not what it's cracked up to be.

Thanks so much for your help. All you need to do is click the link below and register. Once done, you can then find my book in the category “Religion and Spirituality” and vote by clicking a little icon on the manuscript page.

Gordon Smith
    J

http://www.slushpilereader.com/index.php?option=com_manuscripts&view=books&order=latest&genre=Religion+%26+Spirituality&Itemid=5

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

A litle bit of history about you so we now who we're voting for (without having to read your manuscript first) would be nice.

Some of us are very wary about clicking on links.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi TheEndIsNIgh,

Thanks for making your book available to read.

I think chapter one might be incomplete, it ends in mid-word "self-cle-".

--VM44

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Dear EndIs,

Slushpile reader is a rip off. Sorry. My friend Ann Crispin, a fantasy and science fiction writer, has discussed this on her writers beware blog.

If you want publication by a traditional house, you have two approaches. Find a literary agent who handles "Christian" material. There are a number of good agent lists out there, both in print and on the internet. Do not expect the first agent to whom you submit to say yes. They will read the first few paragraphs. Within the first sentence or two they will assess your writing ability. It's a brutal world. Be prepared for rejections. My first book was rejected nearly 20 times before it found a publisher. It's often worse than that. The second approach is to find a "Christian" publishing house or any publisher who may look for that kind of material and submit to them directly. Read their submission guidelines. Check them out on Predators and Editors. There are many, many fraudulent publishers.

Your manuscript must be the best you can make it, brutally edited, clean. It should be your very best. Before you submit to anyone, have someone you trust for their critical ability and grasp of good writing read it and critique it. Join a critique group if you need to. My beta reader is a Canadian English professor. She's sharp and willing to put in the effort.

Commercial publishers look for things that will sell. No matter how good your prose may be, if they do not think it will sell and sell well, they will tell you no.

You can always publish on lulu.com. It's free to you. They offer "packages" for edits and such. Those cost money. If you're confident that you're all ready to go, you do not need them and can publish for free. Their profit comes from selling your book. They take a percentage. Lulu is great for limited interest and academic material that will see small circulation.

Visit Agent's blogs. Get a feel for what is demanded of you as a writer. It's an exceptional book that sees publication. Typically my agent gets 500-1000 queries in a month. An assistant wades through them first, pruning out the really awful. Out of that 'slush pile' she may request a "partial" from two individuals, sometimes three. A partial is the first few chapters of your manuscript. (Some agents ask for the first three chapters with your initial submission). She will either ask for the entire manuscript or tell you no.

Do not complain about rejections, and by all means do not say nasty things about publishers, editors, or agents. It's a very small world. Everyone talks to everyone else. You post something nasty or complain loudly about someone in the industry, others will hear it. Bad idea. Grit your teeth.

Those are your options.

• laverite
    laverite

Any book would have to be really good before I voted for it. You've posted on this project at least a couple of other times recently, yes?

• ruruj
    ruruj

Suggestion: you may try promoting your book among sympathetic facebook and myspace groups.

There are plenty of exJW and even non-JWs groups and religion that are incensed with Watchtower hypocrisy and issues.

There are some JWs hiding here, and Watchtower spies are using links like yours to get the IP address of the member and locate them.

I'll try to examine your work when I get enough firewall security. WhoIS says LUSHPILEREADER.COM registered to Pascal Denize. You can Google him. The registration point is in Stockholm, Sweden.

• free2beme
    free2beme

lulu.com, check it out, does the deed nicely

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Why? There have been enough tell all books as it is. Getting kind of boring!

• No Apologies
    No Apologies
    There are some JWs hiding here, and Watchtower spies are using links like yours to get the IP address of the member and locate them. I'll try to examine your work when I get enough firewall security. WhoIS says LUSHPILEREADER.COM registered to Pascal Denize. You can Google him. The registration point is in Stockholm, Sweden.
    Paranoid much?
    No Apologies

• wasblind
    wasblind

"There are some JWs hiding here, and Watchtower spies are using links like yours to get the IP address of the member and locate them"

Oh well, if they find me they can kiss my ass while they're here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit