Do you measure ingredients when cooking?

by compound complex 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• compound complex
    compound complex

I don't.

In Julie & Julia, Ms. Child's collaborator says it doesn't matter; Julia says it does matter. I can see its being important when writing a book but how about when cooking up daily fare?

Thanks,

CoCo Un Rien de Sel

• cantleave
    cantleave

My early career was spent as a Chemist, so I follow cookery instructions as if I am repeating a chemical experiment, I weigh things out to the gramme +/- 0.5%.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, cantleave!

Makes sense, given your background.

Cantgowrong!

Take care,

CoCo Cooks

• new light
    new light

I measure when cooking from a printed recipe. But generally I just eyeball with reasonable success.

• blondie
    blondie

When I cook something I have for many years, no measurements. Something I have only cooked a couple times, I measure.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It depends on what it is.

Bread machine recipes have to be exact or you wind up with something inedible.

Cake or cake-like recipes - I need to measure

Anything else is whatever I feel like. I will substitute ingredients, add, omit, increase one thing and decrease another or just throw in whatever I have on hand

• Podobear
    Podobear

Yes I do measure things, but I am becoming more skilled in "guess.ti.mating" the quantity. I am diabetic, so it is good discipline for me. Also, I avoid white flour as it contains a substance called Alloxan which is a poison used to induce diabetes in lab. rats. So I measure out most of my ingredients for the sake of my health.

Podo

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

I think the point of Child's comment was that since they were writing a cook book presumably for people who couldn't cook, they needed to measure so the receipe was consistent and turned out the way they intended. If I am learning a new technique, or a new receipe, I measure. Once I understand the basic idea of a receipe, I don't. I fundamentally don't ever measure when I cook. I think people who are natural cooks work based on principals of cooking and flavor rather than measurements.

Just my 2 cents

• snowbird
    snowbird

NEVER!!!

My late mother would turn over in her grave.

Syl

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

If you know why the ingredients do what they do you can disregard the recipe for your own taste. I usually can improve on a recipe. But baking is more of an exact science. I measure for that. Baking soda and powder are more chemistry than cooking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit