What percentage of JWs have been disfellowshipped?

by JWoods 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• asilentone
    asilentone

pirata, I am a silent one. Just FYI.

• pirata
    pirata
    pirata, I am a silent one. Just FYI.

Oops! I always read your username as "a silent stone" for some reason. I thought it was a play on how the stones would cry out if no one preached. Interesting how once the brain thinks it sees something, it continues to apply the false perception without correcting itself.

It's not just you. Today I just realized that 'yknot' is 'why not' instead of 'y-k-not'

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah!!! Pirata, I had that same problem, and NOW I can't remember the poster's name!!!

I went cross-eyed every time I read his/her name, and got it totally wrong...

Oddly enough, that only seemed to happen with one poster... Otherwise, I can usually read reasonably well...

• wobble
    wobble

Does anyone know how many, or what percentage the Mormons chuck out each year ?

I guess they are a bit loath to publish their figures in this area too.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

My wild guess is that around 15% of baptised JWs are disfellowshipped at some point including those who return and those who don't.

I bet if you did an analysis (if it was allowed) a disproportionate number of those disfellowshipped would be lower class socio-economically and those elders doing the disfellowshipping would be disproportionately better off socio-economically. I reckon disfellowshipping is a class tool largely wielded by the better off to discipline those who fail to conform to traditional middle class values.

• agonus
    agonus

I don't think the Mormons practice "organizationally enforced" shunning the way the Dubs do though (you know, can't even say "hello" to the deemunized ones). Correct me if I'm wrong.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I had a magazine route with a mormon bishop... We had several discussion on DF.

They perhaps DF people more frequently than JW do, but the implications are not that severe.

They emphasis that love and encouragement is extended to the DF one. Shunning as such is not practices was the answer he gave me.

But maybe it was "double" speak... on his part.. Theocratic warfare in a way.

• Copernic
    Copernic

If you want to see figures in France & Belgium

A good survey should ask too "how many times do we stay JW ?"

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That page shows baptisms and deaths. It doesn't give figures for the number disfellowshipped so far as I can see. It looks like one of these calculations trying to work out how many 'missing' JWs there are by counting the number of baptisms and subtracting the likely number of deaths.

It would be remarkable if it did show how many were disfellowshipped - where would they get that information? I don't know where they get the number of deaths from for that matter. If it's from a source external to the Watchtower Society then there may be a problem of definition since an outside source would likely define a Jehovah's Witness differently than Witnesses count members. More likely it is an estimate of the number of deaths based on an assumed mortality rate.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The 1% per year seems to be rounded DOWN in comparison to published numbers, so any complaint that the estimate is too high is unfounded.

It also seems to fit anecdotally, as well. A congregation of 100 publishers will have about one DF a year on average.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit