What percentage of JWs have been disfellowshipped?

by JWoods 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Except for a fairly small percentage of die-hards, it's a revolving door of those coming and those leaving, especially among the young ones raised in it.

They are truly bleeding in regards to young people leaving. I've given talks in different halls, with different backgrounds. Black, White, City, Country, etc.. Every hall I've noticed young people with a distinct look on their face. Its so obvious they don't want to be there. In the congregation I grew up in, there were a little more than a half dozen of us. Only two remained, one being myself, and I'm plotting my exodus right now.

Those numbers look accurate. Crazy to imagine a religion that prides itself on being happy, yet almost a quarter of the people in it are leaving either do to being shunned, fading, resisting pressure to get baptized, or flat out leaving by disassociation. I wish there was a way to gauge how many are staying to appease family and close friends. I bet that number is significant too.

• asilentone
    asilentone

keyser, there are some long time JW publishers included in those numbers, thats probably why I might miscalculated the percentage. I am thinking about asking the most Genius woman in the world, she usually answer tough questions. I forgot her name, let me google it. She might give us different answers from us.

• asilentone
  • asilentone
    asilentone

I have not asked her yet, anyone here dare to ask her?, she might give us some good answers.

• steve2
    steve2

Some silly number-crunching has been made. Please give your calculators a rest for a few minutes.

Numbers disfellowshipped over the years may well vary significantly year to year, so unless the Watchtower publishes the numbers - as they have occasionally done - there's way too much speculation involved with the percentages.

However, two key points regarding disfellowshipping have seldom ever been dsputed:

1. Most of those who are disfellowshipped have committed so-called "sins of the flesh"; to put it another way, they have not been disfellowshipped for apostasy. That's why we keep hearing of people who've been disfellowshipped who intend going back at some stage. An earthquake or terrorist activity can sometimes spur up the return.

2. A good proportion of those who have been disfellwoshipped actually do go back. So before you get out your calculators, you will have to factor in the revolving-door syndrome: "kicked out but crawled back". Yes, these sorry repentant sods are devils for punishments.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I have not asked her yet, anyone here dare to ask her?, she might give us some good answers.

How would she know? Is she an authority on JW demographics? I kind of lost respect for her when she answered a question from readers in that Parade column she writes - it was: "What food would you pick if you were in prison for life, and could only have one food item to eat?" She picked dog food.

• pirata
    pirata

Please note that it was stated

19% of the people, who have been or are JWs, have been or are disfellowshipped

The numbers above do not attempt to estimate the numbers who are DF'd and remain out. Merely the amount of people that have been DF'd in the past 50 years in comparison to the number of publishers last year.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do remember very well the brother from Brooklyn Bethel that was giving the talk in the 1980 circuit assembly that said that about 40,000 has been disfellowshipped in 1979. Compare it to JW facts figure in the year of 1979.

• steve2
    steve2
    19% of the people, who have been or are JWs, have been or are disfellowshipped

Rubbish. That amounts to nearly one fifth of active JWs. If it were anywhere near that amount....you can be sure, the GB would be making an even big deal about the need to keep the congregations clean. If this based on cumulative figures over decades, statistical distortion enters the picture big time. People should be familiar with the phrase that goes something like, "There are statistics and then there are lies".

Each of us would know from our current and/or previous congregations that relatively few were disfellowshipped. Far, far greater numbers just left or faded. For example, in my local congregation, we'd get say at most 3 announcements a year that an individual had been disfellowshipped or no longer wanted to be a part of the "Christian congregation...etc". Some years, there'd only be a single announcement.

BTW, we had higher numbers who were publicly reproved. There were a revolving number of say 90 to 120 publishers in that congregation by the time I left. Do the math.

• pirata
    pirata

silentstone, The only figures from jwfacts are the total publishers. I applied the ballpark 1% estimate to that for the estimated numbers disfellowshipped (3rd column).

steve2, I think the phrase is, "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics". I was suprised at the high number myself. However, the 1% figure comes from a number of different sources. In addition to the statement above, jwfacts also reports a few others:

This is based on Watchtower 1992 July 1 p.19 "In recent years disfellowshippings worldwide have been approximately 1 percent of publishers."

Watchtower 1986 January 1 p.13 stated, ?It is to be noted, also, that during the past year, 36,638 individuals had to be disfellowshipped from the Christian congregation? In 1985 average publishers were 2,865,183, so 36,638 represented 1.28%.

Watchtower 1987 September 15 p.13 ?Unfortunately, during the 1986 service year, 37,426 had to be disfellowshipped from the Christian congregation?? Of the 3,063,289 publishers this represented 1.22%

In regards to the cumulative figures over decades, the 1% amount is applied to the number of publishers per year and is not derived from the previous years calculation. The main question is how accurate the 1% figure over the course of each year. If we went with 0.5% disfellowshipping rate instead, that would still come to about 800,000 people total.

The jwfacts page takes a different approach and looks at the difference between the numer baptized and the increase in publishers. Using that method (and assuming a death rate of 0.85%) there are about 1,000,000 unaccounted for from 1996 to 2005. That's a more accurate measure of NET movement (including reinstatements).

Each of us would know from our current and/or previous congregations that relatively few were disfellowshipped.

Applying the 19% figure to a congregation that currently has 100 publishers would mean that 1 person would have to get DF'd ever 2.6 years over the past 50 years (not taking into account death rate) in that congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit