So God can sin?

by ForbiddenFruit 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I think you are trying to put God in the role of Man and vice-versa, God is God and unique.
    God knows Sin and God is able to do anything within God's (unknown) nature and if that means that all possibilites are posible, even if not probable.
    Can God do soemthing against God's will? well, if God did something, how can it be against God's will ?

I think this train of logic needs more work. The third (final) sentence is the key. The first one is non-sequiter, and the second makes no sense.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Who would God be sinning against if he chose to do so?

Good question, that would depend of the sin, no?

Are there moral standards higher than God? I.e., are there moral standards God did not set?

Nope, which makes you wonder how WE can, supposedly, have higher standards than God, as some have said.

If God makes a decree, doesn't that make it de facto "holy"?

Does it?

The answer you gave leads to irreconcilable conumdrums.

As does this very interesting question...

If killing is a sin, did God sin all the times "God" killed in the OT and "shall" Kill come Judgment day?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

JWoods

Only 1 point out of 3!

I think you are being harsh with Psacrameto - 1.5 out of 3 would be more equatable.

• sir82
    sir82
    Are there moral standards higher than God? I.e., are there moral standards God did not set?
    Nope, which makes you wonder how WE can, supposedly, have higher standards than God, as some have said.
    If God makes a decree, doesn't that make it de facto "holy"?
    Does it?

If your reply to the 2nd question implies a "No", then your answers are contradictory.

If God is the ultimate moral authority, and there is nothing higher than him, then anything he decrees as "moral" is moral.

I.e., you imply that a decree of God might be "unholy", immoral, yet you also state that there are no standards higher than God's.

• JWoods
    JWoods

A GLADIATOR thinks a lowly Computer Scientist is HARSH?

OK - 1.5 points. For whatever difference it makes.

I find it easier to just say God (or man's concept thereof) cannot logically sin - but for fundies, this violates the notion that God can do everything.

Except, I guess, create himself.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I find it easier to just say God (or man's concept thereof) cannot logically sin - but for fundies, this violates the notion that God can do everything.
    Except, I guess, create himself.

See, you are putting human limitations on soemthing outside the human relm, that is the point.

Obviously God can Sin, by our standards or he can't, by OUR standards, but since God is NOT subject to OUR Standards, then it's a moot point.

Sin is a human concept, one we apply to our actions against what we believe to be God's "law" or God's will, for US.

God is no more subject to that human concept then God is to gravity.

But you will say, Sin came from God, it was a concept created by God and in a sense you are correct, All came from God so yes, what we call sin is from God and as such, God must KNOW Sin and as such God must have the capacity to sin, just asfor God to be able to love God must KNOW love.

The issue is choice and God is NOT subject to Sin and we ARE, as we have shown over and over.

But, that still leaves this issue I raised earlier:

If killing is a sin, did God sin all the times "God" killed in the OT and "shall" Kill come Judgment day?

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Sin is a human concept, one we apply to our actions against what we believe to be God's "law" or God's will, for US.
    God is no more subject to that human concept then God is to gravity.

Beep-beep. Lets back up that truck. If Sin is a human concept, then God is also a human concept.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Beep-beep. Lets back up that truck. If Sin is a human concept, then God is also a human concept

OUR concept of what WE think God is, yes, that is a given.

That doesn't change WHAT God truly is though.

Our notion of God and what God "IS" is based, in our case working from the Judeo-Christian background, on the OT and NT and other assorted works.

I don't think that anyone will argue that, IF God exists, what we KNOW of God is very small and incomplete, agreed?

We have a concept, a view, a HOPE of how we WANT God to be and, going by the Bible, how the writers of the bible THOUGHT God was/is, but the bible aslo makes clear that God is beyond our understanding, as God makes clear to Job in that charming little exchange.

Many things written about God are just man's views and as we see with the changing of time, that view changed, hence the seemingly contridictory nature of YHWH and Our Father of the NT, hence the coming of Jesus, hence even the changing views about death and what happens from the OT to the NT.

Point is, the Question is CAN God sin and based on what WE THINK of Sin and what we think of God, that answer lies there.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Many things written about God are just man's views

Well, who else wrote ANY of them - if not man?

Who else decides for himself which are real - if not man?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The very nature of philisophical questions like these get us to the crux of OUR beliefs and what they truly mean.

In this case the question is, truly, Can God sin> in other words, IF sin is going agianst the rules of God, can God break God's own rules? and if he can't, is he Omnipotent? and If God can't sin, how doe sone explain the acts attributed to God that are sinful if done by Man?

If God CAN sin, would he ever? and if Yes, does that Stop God from being God? and if Yes, how can God judge man for the "same" sin ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit