So God can sin?

by ForbiddenFruit 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ForbiddenFruit
    ForbiddenFruit

Something I've been thinking of...

God created humans in his image, yet it's possible for human's to sin, so therefore it's possible for God to sin right?

The JW's will throw the, "But Jehovah can never lie", but if it's possible for him to sin then it's possible for him to lie about not lying?

• peacedog
    peacedog

The thing is, if God does it, it's not a sin.

Example, humans commit murder, it's a sin. God commits murder, it's not a sin.

So no, he can't.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I think witnesses would say (in typical JW circular logic) that "anything is possible for Jehovah", so therefore he could sin, but he chooses not to.

In line with the same idea on whether God knew in advance whether Adam and Eve would sin - he could have known, according to JWs, but chose not to look into the future to see.

Of course, the usual definition of "sin" is doing something against the will of God, so the question becomes (in that case) - can God do something against his own will. Thus being an essentially unanswerable hypothesis.

And, of course, the silly witness statement that God "could have looked ahead and seen whether Adam would sin" is tantamount to saying that Adam was predestined to sin (i.e. - he had no "free will") - a Calvinist predestination tinged idea that witnesses themselves denounce.

So this kind of foolish head games would just as well ask the classic: "Can God make a rock so big that he cannot pick it up?"

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

God makes up the rules, so what he says goes. Everything he does is righteous and true. He sets the pace and we follow and watch in awe.

Whatever he does, though sinful to you and I, is simply an expression of his might and majesty; proof that he alone is the most high and can do whatever he wants to.

His ways are so far above us that we are not able to understand or comprehend his unfathomable splendor, or know the way of his thoughts as he sets matters straight.

So far above us, that it is entirely possible to not know that he is anywhere at all.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Can God sin?

Yes, God CAN, but he doesn't.

It was in "Adam's" Nature to sin, the choice was always there, thatis why God gave him the choice and told him the consequences.

Choice may suck and put all the responsibility of what we do one Us, but I don't think anyone here would have it any other way.

• JWoods
    JWoods

So God CAN do something against his own will, PSacremento?

Or, do you have a different definition of sin - (aside from "doing something against the will of God"?)

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS teaches too that people who make it through the end of the 1,000 year reign on earth and are given everlasting life can sin still. It's in a QFR...I'll try and remember to post it.

• sir82
    sir82
    Yes, God CAN, but he doesn't.

Who would God be sinning against if he chose to do so?

Are there moral standards higher than God? I.e., are there moral standards God did not set?

If God makes a decree, doesn't that make it de facto "holy"?

The answer you gave leads to irreconcilable conumdrums.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    So God CAN do something against his own will, PSacremento?

I think you are trying to put God in the role of Man and vice-versa, God is God and unique.

God knows Sin and God is able to do anything within God's (unknown) nature and if that means that all possibilites are posible, even if not probable.

Can God do soemthing against God's will? well, if God did something, how can it be against God's will ?

• asilentone
    asilentone

(bookmark) waiting for Blondie's QFR.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit